Dec 19, 2013, 7:30 AM EDT
The number of suspensions keeps piling up, as do the number of games players are getting banned, and the ugly, illegal hits that cause this.
December has not been a month to remember for the NHL when it comes to supplemental discipline. A total of nine suspensions have been handed down as of Thursday morning, totaling 38 games. That’s after just 18 days this month.
More is expected, with Washington Capitals’ forward Tom Wilson scheduled to have a phone hearing with the league’s Department of Player Safety on Thursday for this hit on Philadelphia Flyers’ forward Brayden Schenn on Tuesday.
Wilson was given a major penalty for charging and was ejected from the game.
On Wednesday, the NHL on NBCSN panel, including Mike Milbury and Keith Jones, discussed this recent plague of illegal and dangerous hits that are not only resulting in players getting suspended, but others getting injured.
“We got a problem because they’re not getting it. The message is not being heard here,” said Milbury.
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 29
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 15
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)