Dec 19, 2013, 7:30 AM EST
The number of suspensions keeps piling up, as do the number of games players are getting banned, and the ugly, illegal hits that cause this.
December has not been a month to remember for the NHL when it comes to supplemental discipline. A total of nine suspensions have been handed down as of Thursday morning, totaling 38 games. That’s after just 18 days this month.
More is expected, with Washington Capitals’ forward Tom Wilson scheduled to have a phone hearing with the league’s Department of Player Safety on Thursday for this hit on Philadelphia Flyers’ forward Brayden Schenn on Tuesday.
Wilson was given a major penalty for charging and was ejected from the game.
On Wednesday, the NHL on NBCSN panel, including Mike Milbury and Keith Jones, discussed this recent plague of illegal and dangerous hits that are not only resulting in players getting suspended, but others getting injured.
“We got a problem because they’re not getting it. The message is not being heard here,” said Milbury.
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 10
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 6
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 13
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 85
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 31
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 18
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (85)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)