Dec 19, 2013, 1:28 PM EDT
But the fact Alberts is being forced into the lineup doesn’t leave the coach feeling entirely comfortable, according to the Vancouver Sun.
“Andrew has practiced hard with us, but just hasn’t had a lot of game time in any league,” said Tortorella, noting that Yannick Weber “had some game looks” with AHL Utica before replacing Edler the past three games.
“But it is what it is, [Alberts] is going to go in, we are not going to whine about this. All teams go through it, we just have to find a way to be the best that we can be.”
Alberts, 32, has appeared in just six games for the Canucks this season, averaging only 5:40 of ice time.
Vancouver plays tomorrow in Chicago and hosts Winnipeg Sunday before a six-day stretch without a game. If Alberts struggles, it’s possible young Frankie Corrado could be called up from the AHL.
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 2
- PHT Morning Skate: Two top scoring duos collide in Ducks vs. Stars 0
- Pressing Question: Can the Sharks get over past playoff hurdles? 4
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 23
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 9
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 37
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)