Dec 19, 2013, 9:47 PM EDT
The Philadelphia Flyers coughed up a 4-1 third period lead in an eventual loss on Sunday. They flipped that script on Thursday, storming back against the Columbus Blue Jackets to win 5-4.
Nick Foligno scored a goal with just 11 seconds left in the second period to give Columbus a 3-0 lead entering the final frame. The Blue Jackets might not strike casual observers as a shutdown team, but they had been lately; the Philadelphia Inquirer’s Sam Carchidi pointed out that Columbus was 36-0-1 entering the third period with a lead, but now they have one regulation loss in that situation.
Claude Giroux (two goals, one assist), Jakub Voracek (one goal, two assists) and Mark Streit (two assists) were the key figures for Philly. The Flyers made it 3-2 before Blake Comeau‘s 4-2 goal 8:35 into the third period. Undaunted, the Flyers scored three goals in about three minutes to win (and not even send the game into OT).
One of Giroux’s two goals was of the mind-bending variety:
While it wasn’t the greatest statistical night for Steve Mason, it seems like he might be heating up a bit again. He’s now won three of his last four games after stumbling a bit to begin the month.
Meanwhile, the Blue Jackets’ frustration must be building, as they’ve lost three games in a row … all by one goal.
May 6, 2015, 10:35 PM EDT
The Presidents’ Trophy winners are now down 3-1 in the series.
May 6, 2015, 10:24 PM EDT
Montreal’s really not into that magic trick.
May 6, 2015, 10:14 PM EDT
An absolute beauty of a save.
May 6, 2015, 9:50 PM EDT
Another shocking end.
May 6, 2015, 9:27 PM EDT
Was that “boy strength” or “man strength?”
May 6, 2015, 9:02 PM EDT
They hadn’t scored in 100 minutes.
May 6, 2015, 8:32 PM EDT
Two chances that barely missed.
May 6, 2015, 7:42 PM EDT
Tampa Bay grabs a 1-0 lead in Game 3.
May 6, 2015, 6:58 PM EDT
Things haven’t come easily for the high-end prospect.
May 6, 2015, 6:45 PM EDT
Chosen by the National Hockey League Broadcasters’ Association.
May 6, 2015, 6:14 PM EDT
Watch on TV and online.
May 6, 2015, 5:30 PM EDT
Czech netminder has appeared in 27 games for Nashville over the last two seasons.
May 6, 2015, 4:39 PM EDT
Sweden led 3-0 at one point.
May 6, 2015, 3:56 PM EDT
Scored 63 goals and 118 points this year for Portland.
May 6, 2015, 3:00 PM EDT
“It’s like a horse race — you can’t stand ten feet ahead of the finish line and determine who won a close race.”
May 6, 2015, 2:30 PM EDT
Had 89 points in 55 games.
May 6, 2015, 2:26 PM EDT
Yet the Wild coach is now staring it in the face.
May 6, 2015, 1:41 PM EDT
Teams will meet tonight and again tomorrow in Tampa Bay.
May 6, 2015, 12:54 PM EDT
“I’m still in between and weighing the options.”
May 6, 2015, 12:35 PM EDT
Calgary’s Bob Hartley is considered the favorite.
- Andre’s gigantic game: Caps push Rangers to the brink 63
- Quick strike: Lightning steal Game 3 from Habs with last-second goal 22
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Canada fights back to beat Sweden at worlds 20
- NHL hockey ops explains no-goal call 48
- Jack Adams Award finalists to be announced tonight 4
- Video: Flames stun Ducks in OT to get back in the series 10
- Video: Controversial no-goal call on Flames 15
- Video: Crawford, Kane help Blackhawks push Wild to brink of elimination 53
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 1
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- ‘You can’t win,’ ex-NHL ref Fraser says of Prust incident (83)
- New York second: Capitals stun Rangers for 1-0 series lead (76)
- Red Wings’ Devellano calls Mantha ‘very, very, very disappointing’ (67)
- Andre’s gigantic game: Caps push Rangers to the brink (64)