Dec 19, 2013, 12:01 PM EST
There’s struggling, and then there’s struggling.
In the case of tonight’s game between Phoenix and Toronto, the italics version applies to the Maple Leafs, who’ve managed just three regulation wins in their last 21 games.
However, with a 4-6-2 record in their last 12 games and two straight regulation losses, the non-italics version certainly applies to the Coyotes, whose struggles have taken them out of the playoff picture in the Western Conference.
“We made mistakes, took some bad penalties,” Mike Ribeiro said after the Coyotes dropped a 3-1 decision Tuesday in Montreal.
Phoenix has also had trouble converting on its once-potent power play, going just 2-for-19 in its last six games.
“Special units are part of the game, and if you can’t get them to click, oftentimes you’ll lose the game,” said Ribeiro.
The Coyotes do have a good opportunity to regain some momentum prior to the holiday break. Though all three of their games are on the road, their opponents — Toronto, Ottawa, and Buffalo — are hardly the cream of the NHL’s crop.
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 3
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 5
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 4
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 60
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 3
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (60)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)