Dec 19, 2013, 12:01 PM EDT
There’s struggling, and then there’s struggling.
In the case of tonight’s game between Phoenix and Toronto, the italics version applies to the Maple Leafs, who’ve managed just three regulation wins in their last 21 games.
However, with a 4-6-2 record in their last 12 games and two straight regulation losses, the non-italics version certainly applies to the Coyotes, whose struggles have taken them out of the playoff picture in the Western Conference.
“We made mistakes, took some bad penalties,” Mike Ribeiro said after the Coyotes dropped a 3-1 decision Tuesday in Montreal.
Phoenix has also had trouble converting on its once-potent power play, going just 2-for-19 in its last six games.
“Special units are part of the game, and if you can’t get them to click, oftentimes you’ll lose the game,” said Ribeiro.
The Coyotes do have a good opportunity to regain some momentum prior to the holiday break. Though all three of their games are on the road, their opponents — Toronto, Ottawa, and Buffalo — are hardly the cream of the NHL’s crop.
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 47
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 50
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 54
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 57
- Columbus trying to figure out ‘the right thing to do’ with Johansen 39
- Panthers re-sign Kulikov: three years, $13 million 6
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him 77
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M 58
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (57)