Dec 19, 2013, 3:05 PM EDT
After missing two games with an undisclosed muscle injury, St. Louis’ Jaden Schwartz will be in the lineup tonight when the Blues take on the Habs.
What’s more, he’s getting a crack at first-line minutes.
Schwartz will replace David Backes (upper-body) on the Alex Steen-T.J. Oshie line, according to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. Schwartz is a good fit given his offensive flair (eight goals 22 points in 31 games) and the fact he played with Steen during last year’s playoff series against L.A.
“I’m excited to play with those two,” Schwartz told the Post-Dispatch. “I’ve played with them before, so I’m a little bit familiar. They work hard and I want to add to that and obviously be responsible defensively.
“But I want to create offense as much as I can, and read off of them. I’m excited and hopefully they are, too.”
Backes — who’ll miss his second straight — isn’t the only Blues forward out tonight. Vladimir Sobotka is still dealing with an upper-body injury and is only “50 percent of where he needs to be,” according to head coach Ken Hitchcock.
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 8
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 19
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 80
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 35
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (80)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)