Dec 19, 2013, 12:23 PM EDT
The hit by Wilson occurred late in the second period and forced Schenn out of the game with what appeared to be a serious injury, possibly a concussion. Wilson received a major penalty and game misconduct for charging.
Is Schenn surprised he’s able to play tonight?
“I really am,” he said, per CSN Philly. “I feel blessed and lucky with what happened. I don’t think I’ve ever gone head-first into the boards – I’ve put my shoulder, elbow, something in the way first. I think I got real lucky on that play.”
That Schenn escaped serious injury may also be good news for Wilson, who’s facing supplementary discipline for the play. Injuries are a factor when the league considers punishment.
Meanwhile, Capitals coach Adam Oates reiterated his belief today that Wilson did nothing wrong.
“[Schenn] chose to try to spin out. Wrong choice,” Oates said, per Frank Seravalli of the Philadelphia Daily News. “To me, it’s a totally clean hit.”
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 0
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 69
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 34
- Crashing Lightning: Montreal crushes Tampa Bay, takes 2-0 series lead 6
- Quenneville gets $25,000 fine for ‘bush-league move’ 12
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 41
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 20
- Video: PHT Extra — can Detroit exploit Boston’s blueline? 13
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 16
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 63