Dec 19, 2013, 12:23 PM EST
The hit by Wilson occurred late in the second period and forced Schenn out of the game with what appeared to be a serious injury, possibly a concussion. Wilson received a major penalty and game misconduct for charging.
Is Schenn surprised he’s able to play tonight?
“I really am,” he said, per CSN Philly. “I feel blessed and lucky with what happened. I don’t think I’ve ever gone head-first into the boards – I’ve put my shoulder, elbow, something in the way first. I think I got real lucky on that play.”
That Schenn escaped serious injury may also be good news for Wilson, who’s facing supplementary discipline for the play. Injuries are a factor when the league considers punishment.
Meanwhile, Capitals coach Adam Oates reiterated his belief today that Wilson did nothing wrong.
“[Schenn] chose to try to spin out. Wrong choice,” Oates said, per Frank Seravalli of the Philadelphia Daily News. “To me, it’s a totally clean hit.”
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 4
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)