Dec 19, 2013, 12:23 PM EST
The hit by Wilson occurred late in the second period and forced Schenn out of the game with what appeared to be a serious injury, possibly a concussion. Wilson received a major penalty and game misconduct for charging.
Is Schenn surprised he’s able to play tonight?
“I really am,” he said, per CSN Philly. “I feel blessed and lucky with what happened. I don’t think I’ve ever gone head-first into the boards – I’ve put my shoulder, elbow, something in the way first. I think I got real lucky on that play.”
That Schenn escaped serious injury may also be good news for Wilson, who’s facing supplementary discipline for the play. Injuries are a factor when the league considers punishment.
Meanwhile, Capitals coach Adam Oates reiterated his belief today that Wilson did nothing wrong.
“[Schenn] chose to try to spin out. Wrong choice,” Oates said, per Frank Seravalli of the Philadelphia Daily News. “To me, it’s a totally clean hit.”
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 17
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (67)