Dec 19, 2013, 12:23 PM EDT
The hit by Wilson occurred late in the second period and forced Schenn out of the game with what appeared to be a serious injury, possibly a concussion. Wilson received a major penalty and game misconduct for charging.
Is Schenn surprised he’s able to play tonight?
“I really am,” he said, per CSN Philly. “I feel blessed and lucky with what happened. I don’t think I’ve ever gone head-first into the boards – I’ve put my shoulder, elbow, something in the way first. I think I got real lucky on that play.”
That Schenn escaped serious injury may also be good news for Wilson, who’s facing supplementary discipline for the play. Injuries are a factor when the league considers punishment.
Meanwhile, Capitals coach Adam Oates reiterated his belief today that Wilson did nothing wrong.
“[Schenn] chose to try to spin out. Wrong choice,” Oates said, per Frank Seravalli of the Philadelphia Daily News. “To me, it’s a totally clean hit.”
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 18
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (60)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)