Dec 19, 2013, 6:17 PM EST
The Washington Capitals repeatedly insisted that Tom Wilson‘s check on Philadelphia Flyers center Brayden Schenn was clean.The NHL’s Department of Player Safety determined that it at least wasn’t worthy of supplemental discipline on Thursday:
In case you’d rather read the explanation instead of watch the video, here’s the Cliff’s Notes version of Brendan Shanahan’s reasoning.
- Shanahan believes that Schenn, 22, turned his back in a way that contributed to the violence of the collision.
- The league apparently believes a claim from Wilson, 19, that he made the decision to hit Schenn when he was inside the faceoff circle, mitigating some of the charging discussion.
- Also, Shanahan points out that Wilson was reading the play when he was making his way on the forecheck, strengthening the argument that the decision to hit Schenn came later than some might believe.
- Ultimately, Shanahan believes that Wilson was mostly skating in a “typical forechecking fashion.”
So, long story short, the league decided that the charging major and game misconduct Wilson received during that game was enough of a punishment.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 7
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)