Dec 19, 2013, 6:17 PM EDT
The Washington Capitals repeatedly insisted that Tom Wilson‘s check on Philadelphia Flyers center Brayden Schenn was clean.The NHL’s Department of Player Safety determined that it at least wasn’t worthy of supplemental discipline on Thursday:
In case you’d rather read the explanation instead of watch the video, here’s the Cliff’s Notes version of Brendan Shanahan’s reasoning.
- Shanahan believes that Schenn, 22, turned his back in a way that contributed to the violence of the collision.
- The league apparently believes a claim from Wilson, 19, that he made the decision to hit Schenn when he was inside the faceoff circle, mitigating some of the charging discussion.
- Also, Shanahan points out that Wilson was reading the play when he was making his way on the forecheck, strengthening the argument that the decision to hit Schenn came later than some might believe.
- Ultimately, Shanahan believes that Wilson was mostly skating in a “typical forechecking fashion.”
So, long story short, the league decided that the charging major and game misconduct Wilson received during that game was enough of a punishment.
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 13
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 42
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 33
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (67)