Dec 19, 2013, 6:17 PM EDT
The Washington Capitals repeatedly insisted that Tom Wilson‘s check on Philadelphia Flyers center Brayden Schenn was clean.The NHL’s Department of Player Safety determined that it at least wasn’t worthy of supplemental discipline on Thursday:
In case you’d rather read the explanation instead of watch the video, here’s the Cliff’s Notes version of Brendan Shanahan’s reasoning.
- Shanahan believes that Schenn, 22, turned his back in a way that contributed to the violence of the collision.
- The league apparently believes a claim from Wilson, 19, that he made the decision to hit Schenn when he was inside the faceoff circle, mitigating some of the charging discussion.
- Also, Shanahan points out that Wilson was reading the play when he was making his way on the forecheck, strengthening the argument that the decision to hit Schenn came later than some might believe.
- Ultimately, Shanahan believes that Wilson was mostly skating in a “typical forechecking fashion.”
So, long story short, the league decided that the charging major and game misconduct Wilson received during that game was enough of a punishment.
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 0
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 50
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 53
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)