Dec 19, 2013, 6:17 PM EDT
The Washington Capitals repeatedly insisted that Tom Wilson‘s check on Philadelphia Flyers center Brayden Schenn was clean.The NHL’s Department of Player Safety determined that it at least wasn’t worthy of supplemental discipline on Thursday:
In case you’d rather read the explanation instead of watch the video, here’s the Cliff’s Notes version of Brendan Shanahan’s reasoning.
- Shanahan believes that Schenn, 22, turned his back in a way that contributed to the violence of the collision.
- The league apparently believes a claim from Wilson, 19, that he made the decision to hit Schenn when he was inside the faceoff circle, mitigating some of the charging discussion.
- Also, Shanahan points out that Wilson was reading the play when he was making his way on the forecheck, strengthening the argument that the decision to hit Schenn came later than some might believe.
- Ultimately, Shanahan believes that Wilson was mostly skating in a “typical forechecking fashion.”
So, long story short, the league decided that the charging major and game misconduct Wilson received during that game was enough of a punishment.
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 15
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 11
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 84
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (90)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)