Dec 19, 2013, 11:19 AM EDT
Daniel Briere‘s first year in Montreal nearly bottomed out on Tuesday, when he received just 4:27 in ice time during a 3-1 win over Phoenix.
To hear head coach Michel Therrien explain it, the decision was all about getting a W.
“On our side we’ve got to make decisions — I’ve got to look at the big picture with the team and make adjustments during games to make sure that we’ve got a chance to win the hockey game,” Therrien told the Montreal Gazette. “We made those decisions (Tuesday), and adjustments and it was good for the team because we end up making a comeback and won against a team that are really tough to play against.”
Briere, the Habs’ big summer signing, received just seven shifts against the Coyotes — four in the first, two in the second and just one in the third — for his lowest TOI total of the season (save the 4:20 he played against Nashville on Oct. 19, when he was hurt midway through the game.)
Briere has just five goals and 10 points through 26 games this year and is averaging 12:38 per game — his lowest average since the 2000-01 campaign in Phoenix, when he was 23 years old.
“Danny is a great person and we want things to happen,” Therrien said. “And we gave him an opportunity. But I’m sure he wants to produce more, wants to get involved more.”
The Habs will take on the Blues tonight in St. Louis.
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 0
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)