Dec 19, 2013, 2:31 PM EDT
The last time Edmonton and Colorado met, the Oilers handed the Avs their worst loss of the season — a 8-2 thumping in which the Oil poured it on at the end, scoring twice in the final 90 seconds.
In light of that, Dallas Eakins is preparing for more fight out of the Avs when they host his team at the Pepsi Center on Thursday.
“They’re going to be looking for redemption,” Eakins said, as per the Oilers’ Twitter account. “We have to prevent them from doing that.”
Another guy to keep an eye on is Colorado head coach Patrick Roy. He was remarkably composed following the loss to the Oilers, saying “I’m not disappointed at all” and “we need to learn from it.” He also didn’t think much of leaving Varlamov in for all eight goals, as the Avs had a game the next night in Calgary with backup JS Giguere scheduled to start.
In fact, Roy doesn’t seem fired up for tonight’s “grudge match” much at all.
“It’s hard not to think about it, but it’s not something I’ve brought up,” he told Sportsnet’s Gene Principe. “I’m not worried about revenge.”
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 56
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 26
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 45
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 31
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 41
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (61)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)