Dec 19, 2013, 2:31 PM EDT
The last time Edmonton and Colorado met, the Oilers handed the Avs their worst loss of the season — a 8-2 thumping in which the Oil poured it on at the end, scoring twice in the final 90 seconds.
In light of that, Dallas Eakins is preparing for more fight out of the Avs when they host his team at the Pepsi Center on Thursday.
“They’re going to be looking for redemption,” Eakins said, as per the Oilers’ Twitter account. “We have to prevent them from doing that.”
Another guy to keep an eye on is Colorado head coach Patrick Roy. He was remarkably composed following the loss to the Oilers, saying “I’m not disappointed at all” and “we need to learn from it.” He also didn’t think much of leaving Varlamov in for all eight goals, as the Avs had a game the next night in Calgary with backup JS Giguere scheduled to start.
In fact, Roy doesn’t seem fired up for tonight’s “grudge match” much at all.
“It’s hard not to think about it, but it’s not something I’ve brought up,” he told Sportsnet’s Gene Principe. “I’m not worried about revenge.”
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)