Dec 19, 2013, 2:38 PM EDT
The Phoenix Coyotes have lost defenseman Zbynek Michalek indefinitely with a lower-body injury he sustained in the game Tuesday against the Montreal Canadiens.
According to the Coyotes, Michalek has left the team to see team medical staff for further evaluation.
Michalek has four assists in 24 games and a plus-10 rating that is tops among Phoenix defensemen.
In response to the above, Rostislav Klesla has been called up from AHL Portland as the Coyotes prepare to face the Maple Leafs tonight in Toronto.
It will be interesting to see how Phoenix fares without Michalek, a defensive defenseman who’s typically deployed against the opponent’s top players.
Here’s coach Dave Tippett addressing the media:
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 20
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 36
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 49
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 33
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother 27
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 26
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 52
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 10
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 6