Dec 19, 2013, 2:38 PM EST
The Phoenix Coyotes have lost defenseman Zbynek Michalek indefinitely with a lower-body injury he sustained in the game Tuesday against the Montreal Canadiens.
According to the Coyotes, Michalek has left the team to see team medical staff for further evaluation.
Michalek has four assists in 24 games and a plus-10 rating that is tops among Phoenix defensemen.
In response to the above, Rostislav Klesla has been called up from AHL Portland as the Coyotes prepare to face the Maple Leafs tonight in Toronto.
It will be interesting to see how Phoenix fares without Michalek, a defensive defenseman who’s typically deployed against the opponent’s top players.
Here’s coach Dave Tippett addressing the media:
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 57
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 20
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 36
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 16
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 5
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 2
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 12