Dec 19, 2013, 7:35 PM EDT
As much fun as it is to see retired players who haven’t laced them up in decades skate around during Winter Classic alumni games, it’s often a lot of fun to see a guy who only retired a few years ago. Logically speaking, there’s the impression that they might have some extra magic left.
Unfortunately, Mats Sundin won’t be able to do that in the 2014 Winter Classic’s Alumni Showdown between Detroit Red Wings and Toronto Maple Leafs greats, explaining to the Toronto Star that a knee issue foiled that plan.
“I have had problems with my right knee for a while and I’m having surgery,” Sundin said. “I have not been able to skate this last year and I can’t skate with my knee like this. I’m very disappointed not being able to play in the great alumni outdoor game and represent the Maple Leafs again.”
Sundin, 42, last played in the NHL during the 2008-09 season. It’s not as if he’s against skating in these types of events, either; this post’s main image comes from a Nov. 11, 2012 Hall of Fame Legends Game.
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 11
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 56
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (62)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)