Dec 19, 2013, 7:35 PM EST
As much fun as it is to see retired players who haven’t laced them up in decades skate around during Winter Classic alumni games, it’s often a lot of fun to see a guy who only retired a few years ago. Logically speaking, there’s the impression that they might have some extra magic left.
Unfortunately, Mats Sundin won’t be able to do that in the 2014 Winter Classic’s Alumni Showdown between Detroit Red Wings and Toronto Maple Leafs greats, explaining to the Toronto Star that a knee issue foiled that plan.
“I have had problems with my right knee for a while and I’m having surgery,” Sundin said. “I have not been able to skate this last year and I can’t skate with my knee like this. I’m very disappointed not being able to play in the great alumni outdoor game and represent the Maple Leafs again.”
Sundin, 42, last played in the NHL during the 2008-09 season. It’s not as if he’s against skating in these types of events, either; this post’s main image comes from a Nov. 11, 2012 Hall of Fame Legends Game.
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 1
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 6
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 10
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 82
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 31
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 18
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 78
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (82)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)