Dec 19, 2013, 7:35 PM EDT
As much fun as it is to see retired players who haven’t laced them up in decades skate around during Winter Classic alumni games, it’s often a lot of fun to see a guy who only retired a few years ago. Logically speaking, there’s the impression that they might have some extra magic left.
Unfortunately, Mats Sundin won’t be able to do that in the 2014 Winter Classic’s Alumni Showdown between Detroit Red Wings and Toronto Maple Leafs greats, explaining to the Toronto Star that a knee issue foiled that plan.
“I have had problems with my right knee for a while and I’m having surgery,” Sundin said. “I have not been able to skate this last year and I can’t skate with my knee like this. I’m very disappointed not being able to play in the great alumni outdoor game and represent the Maple Leafs again.”
Sundin, 42, last played in the NHL during the 2008-09 season. It’s not as if he’s against skating in these types of events, either; this post’s main image comes from a Nov. 11, 2012 Hall of Fame Legends Game.
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 20
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)