Dec 19, 2013, 7:35 PM EST
As much fun as it is to see retired players who haven’t laced them up in decades skate around during Winter Classic alumni games, it’s often a lot of fun to see a guy who only retired a few years ago. Logically speaking, there’s the impression that they might have some extra magic left.
Unfortunately, Mats Sundin won’t be able to do that in the 2014 Winter Classic’s Alumni Showdown between Detroit Red Wings and Toronto Maple Leafs greats, explaining to the Toronto Star that a knee issue foiled that plan.
“I have had problems with my right knee for a while and I’m having surgery,” Sundin said. “I have not been able to skate this last year and I can’t skate with my knee like this. I’m very disappointed not being able to play in the great alumni outdoor game and represent the Maple Leafs again.”
Sundin, 42, last played in the NHL during the 2008-09 season. It’s not as if he’s against skating in these types of events, either; this post’s main image comes from a Nov. 11, 2012 Hall of Fame Legends Game.
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 2
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 16
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 58
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 28
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 81
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)