Dec 19, 2013, 7:35 PM EDT
As much fun as it is to see retired players who haven’t laced them up in decades skate around during Winter Classic alumni games, it’s often a lot of fun to see a guy who only retired a few years ago. Logically speaking, there’s the impression that they might have some extra magic left.
Unfortunately, Mats Sundin won’t be able to do that in the 2014 Winter Classic’s Alumni Showdown between Detroit Red Wings and Toronto Maple Leafs greats, explaining to the Toronto Star that a knee issue foiled that plan.
“I have had problems with my right knee for a while and I’m having surgery,” Sundin said. “I have not been able to skate this last year and I can’t skate with my knee like this. I’m very disappointed not being able to play in the great alumni outdoor game and represent the Maple Leafs again.”
Sundin, 42, last played in the NHL during the 2008-09 season. It’s not as if he’s against skating in these types of events, either; this post’s main image comes from a Nov. 11, 2012 Hall of Fame Legends Game.
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 55
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 3
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Redemption time? Montreal, Semin agree to one-year deal 26
- Full autonomy: Lamoriello’s place in Leafs’ chain of command 26
- Lamoriello’s departure removes any doubt: Devils are Shero’s team 21
- With Lamoriello hire, Leafs hammer home their culture change 23
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Ah, arbitration: Holtby reportedly asking for $8 million, Caps countering at $5.1 million (59)