Dec 19, 2013, 10:42 PM EDT
Thursday’s 3-2 OT win against Calgary might be the prime example of why Detroit courted Daniel Alfredsson.
The Red Wings have been hurting because of injuries, and even against one of the West’s least impressive teams, a seventh consecutive loss wouldn’t have been shocking. Instead, Alfredsson scored two goals (including the game-winner) and an assist to help Detroit snap out of it.
Naturally, it wasn’t just about getting a vintage performance from their 41-year-old winger. Pavel Datsyuk was also involved in all three goals, as he collected three assists tonight.
With this win, the Red Wings are now 16-12-9. It’s worth noting that Jonas Gustavsson has nine of those wins.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 70
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)