Dec 19, 2013, 10:42 PM EDT
Thursday’s 3-2 OT win against Calgary might be the prime example of why Detroit courted Daniel Alfredsson.
The Red Wings have been hurting because of injuries, and even against one of the West’s least impressive teams, a seventh consecutive loss wouldn’t have been shocking. Instead, Alfredsson scored two goals (including the game-winner) and an assist to help Detroit snap out of it.
Naturally, it wasn’t just about getting a vintage performance from their 41-year-old winger. Pavel Datsyuk was also involved in all three goals, as he collected three assists tonight.
With this win, the Red Wings are now 16-12-9. It’s worth noting that Jonas Gustavsson has nine of those wins.
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 2
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 15
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 35
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 44
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy 172
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)