Dec 19, 2013, 10:42 PM EDT
Thursday’s 3-2 OT win against Calgary might be the prime example of why Detroit courted Daniel Alfredsson.
The Red Wings have been hurting because of injuries, and even against one of the West’s least impressive teams, a seventh consecutive loss wouldn’t have been shocking. Instead, Alfredsson scored two goals (including the game-winner) and an assist to help Detroit snap out of it.
Naturally, it wasn’t just about getting a vintage performance from their 41-year-old winger. Pavel Datsyuk was also involved in all three goals, as he collected three assists tonight.
With this win, the Red Wings are now 16-12-9. It’s worth noting that Jonas Gustavsson has nine of those wins.
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 4
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Report: Dal Colle signs with Islanders (Updated) 1
- Bridge built: Blues lock up Schwartz to two-year deal reportedly worth $4.7M 12
- Comedian Will Arnett at Leafs practice 8
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys (28)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)