Dec 19, 2013, 10:42 PM EDT
Thursday’s 3-2 OT win against Calgary might be the prime example of why Detroit courted Daniel Alfredsson.
The Red Wings have been hurting because of injuries, and even against one of the West’s least impressive teams, a seventh consecutive loss wouldn’t have been shocking. Instead, Alfredsson scored two goals (including the game-winner) and an assist to help Detroit snap out of it.
Naturally, it wasn’t just about getting a vintage performance from their 41-year-old winger. Pavel Datsyuk was also involved in all three goals, as he collected three assists tonight.
With this win, the Red Wings are now 16-12-9. It’s worth noting that Jonas Gustavsson has nine of those wins.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 20
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5