Dec 19, 2013, 10:42 PM EST
Thursday’s 3-2 OT win against Calgary might be the prime example of why Detroit courted Daniel Alfredsson.
The Red Wings have been hurting because of injuries, and even against one of the West’s least impressive teams, a seventh consecutive loss wouldn’t have been shocking. Instead, Alfredsson scored two goals (including the game-winner) and an assist to help Detroit snap out of it.
Naturally, it wasn’t just about getting a vintage performance from their 41-year-old winger. Pavel Datsyuk was also involved in all three goals, as he collected three assists tonight.
With this win, the Red Wings are now 16-12-9. It’s worth noting that Jonas Gustavsson has nine of those wins.
- Video: Pacioretty taken to hospital, reportedly no hearing expected for Stoner after questionable hit 4
- Video: Canadiens honor long-time captain Saku Koivu 2
- Crosby back for Pens after missing three games with the mumps 1
- Comparing the shot differentials of all 30 teams 9
- PHT interviews Jim Nill, who’s ‘not surprised’ by Stars’ early-season struggles 2
- Mark Howe on his father’s health: ‘He’s back in the ballgame’ 3
- Holland: ‘I’m not against fighting’ 8
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 23
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 5
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 11