Dec 18, 2013, 6:56 PM EDT
The Minnesota Wild will be without arguably their most valuable player for the next nine days, as goalie Josh Harding has been placed on injured reserve to make an adjustment to his treatment for Multiple Sclerosis.
“Over the next week, Josh will make a minor adjustment to his treatment protocol,” Wild General Manager Chuck Fletcher said in a statement. “Josh feels great and he looks forward to rejoining our team for our game in Winnipeg on Dec. 27.”
Harding, who has been nothing short of brilliant this season, ranks first in the NHL in goals-against average (1.51), tied for first in shutouts (3), second in save percentage (.939) and is tied for second in wins (18). He was named the league’s third star in November and is a major reason why the Wild are holding the eighth and final playoff spot in the ultra-competitive Western Conference.
While Harding will be out until Dec. 27, he actually won’t miss that many games. The Wild only have three left until the Christmas break — at Pittsburgh, at New York Rangers and at Philadelphia — before the league shuts down from Dec. 24-26.
If all goes well, Harding will be set to face the Jets in Winnipeg on the 27th.
In a related move, the Wild have recalled Johan Gustafsson from AHL Iowa to serve as Niklas Backstrom‘s backup over the next three games. Gustafsson has been recalled once already this season but has yet to appear in a NHL game.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 1
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)