Dec 18, 2013, 6:56 PM EDT
The Minnesota Wild will be without arguably their most valuable player for the next nine days, as goalie Josh Harding has been placed on injured reserve to make an adjustment to his treatment for Multiple Sclerosis.
“Over the next week, Josh will make a minor adjustment to his treatment protocol,” Wild General Manager Chuck Fletcher said in a statement. “Josh feels great and he looks forward to rejoining our team for our game in Winnipeg on Dec. 27.”
Harding, who has been nothing short of brilliant this season, ranks first in the NHL in goals-against average (1.51), tied for first in shutouts (3), second in save percentage (.939) and is tied for second in wins (18). He was named the league’s third star in November and is a major reason why the Wild are holding the eighth and final playoff spot in the ultra-competitive Western Conference.
While Harding will be out until Dec. 27, he actually won’t miss that many games. The Wild only have three left until the Christmas break — at Pittsburgh, at New York Rangers and at Philadelphia — before the league shuts down from Dec. 24-26.
If all goes well, Harding will be set to face the Jets in Winnipeg on the 27th.
In a related move, the Wild have recalled Johan Gustafsson from AHL Iowa to serve as Niklas Backstrom‘s backup over the next three games. Gustafsson has been recalled once already this season but has yet to appear in a NHL game.
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 4
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 5
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 59
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 4
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 58
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)