Dec 18, 2013, 11:57 PM EDT
Kunitz was driving hard to the net and let go a backhand that Lundqvist made the save on. As Lundqvist covered up and slid to his left, he crossed into the path of Kunitz as he was skating in behind the net.
Lundqvist was sent sprawling and remained on the ice for a few minutes, getting attended to by a member of the Rangers’ training staff.
Kunitz received a goalie interference penalty, but the Rangers failed to capitalize on the four-on-three power play. New York eventually lost this game 4-3 in the shootout.
Updated: As per the Rangers’ official Twitter account, Lundqvist said afterward: “I have a stiff neck…I’m just happy it’s not worse than that.”
- Report: Leiweke to head up Olympic bid in Los Angeles 8
- In praise of John Tavares 14
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 21
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 18
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 39
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 55
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 40