Dec 18, 2013, 8:52 PM EDT
Tom Gulitti of NorthJersey.com said it best:
It feels like whenever Jagr scores a goal, there are like 20 historical notes that go with it.
— Tom Gulitti (@TGfireandice) December 19, 2013
This proved true on Wednesday night as Jagr scored goal No. 693 of his career — moving him past Steve Yzerman for eighth all time on the NHL goalscoring list:
The goal was New Jersey’s third of the game and Jagr’s 12th of the year, meaning he’s now passed Yzerman and Mario Lemieux (690 goals) this year. The next legend in his sights? Hall of Famer Mark Messier, who sits seventh on the list with 694 career tallies.
After Messier, the next big mark (pardon the pun) will be goal No. 700. Only six players in NHL history have accomplished that feat: Mike Gartner (708), Phil Esposito (717), Marcel Dionne (731), Brett Hull (741), Gordie Howe (801) and Wayne Gretzky (894).
- Jackets sign Dubinsky through 2020-21 0
- AHL’s new overtime rules include 3-on-3 play 23
- Report: Avs, O’Reilly likely headed to arbitration 51
- Armstrong lays out what Blues offered KHL-bound Sobotka 15
- Blues re-sign Ott; Sobotka to KHL? 34
- Devils ink Schneider to reported seven-year, $42 million deal 62
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions 170
- Jets can’t let Kane situation fester much longer 57
- Report: Sidney Crosby will undergo wrist surgery 59
- Kane: ‘I’m a Winnipeg Jet right now… we’ll see what happens’ 51
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions (170)
- Pros and cons of Subban filing for arbitration (67)
- Boyle wanted Big Apple after playing in ‘nontraditional hockey markets’ of Florida, California (63)
- Devils ink Schneider to reported seven-year, $42 million deal (62)
- Report: Sidney Crosby will undergo wrist surgery (59)