Dec 18, 2013, 8:52 PM EDT
Tom Gulitti of NorthJersey.com said it best:
It feels like whenever Jagr scores a goal, there are like 20 historical notes that go with it.
— Tom Gulitti (@TGfireandice) December 19, 2013
This proved true on Wednesday night as Jagr scored goal No. 693 of his career — moving him past Steve Yzerman for eighth all time on the NHL goalscoring list:
The goal was New Jersey’s third of the game and Jagr’s 12th of the year, meaning he’s now passed Yzerman and Mario Lemieux (690 goals) this year. The next legend in his sights? Hall of Famer Mark Messier, who sits seventh on the list with 694 career tallies.
After Messier, the next big mark (pardon the pun) will be goal No. 700. Only six players in NHL history have accomplished that feat: Mike Gartner (708), Phil Esposito (717), Marcel Dionne (731), Brett Hull (741), Gordie Howe (801) and Wayne Gretzky (894).
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 9
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)