Dec 18, 2013, 8:52 PM EST
Tom Gulitti of NorthJersey.com said it best:
It feels like whenever Jagr scores a goal, there are like 20 historical notes that go with it.
— Tom Gulitti (@TGfireandice) December 19, 2013
This proved true on Wednesday night as Jagr scored goal No. 693 of his career — moving him past Steve Yzerman for eighth all time on the NHL goalscoring list:
The goal was New Jersey’s third of the game and Jagr’s 12th of the year, meaning he’s now passed Yzerman and Mario Lemieux (690 goals) this year. The next legend in his sights? Hall of Famer Mark Messier, who sits seventh on the list with 694 career tallies.
After Messier, the next big mark (pardon the pun) will be goal No. 700. Only six players in NHL history have accomplished that feat: Mike Gartner (708), Phil Esposito (717), Marcel Dionne (731), Brett Hull (741), Gordie Howe (801) and Wayne Gretzky (894).
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 49
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 58
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)