Dec 18, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT
Former Colorado forward Steve Moore has founded an eponymous foundation dedicated to the prevention and treatment of concussions in sport.
The Steve Moore Foundation, launched Wednesday, is a charity focused on “doing everything possible to avoid preventable concussions and similar serious head and neck injuries in sport, and in helping those suffering from such injuries by developing effective treatments.”
In 2004, Moore had his career ended after a violent on-ice attack from then-Vancouver forward Todd Bertuzzi. Moore suffered three fractured vertebrae and a concussion, the latter of which plagues him to this day.
“Steve is still in rehabilitation,” Moore’s attorney, Tim Danson, told the Denver Post in October. “He’s being treated for his injuries. It’s been a very, very difficult 10 years. It’s been very frustrating. There you are, having your career ended in your (official) rookie year and your source of income is cut off and you sustain serious injuries.”
Moore has gone the legal route and is seeking $38 million in damages via a civil suit against Bertuzzi, which will begin on Sept. 8, 2014, according to CBC.
It’s a date that’s been a long time in the making — last July, an original Sept. 24, 2012 date was pushed to January 2013, only for that date to be pushed again when Danson learned of a “secret deal” between Bertuzzi and Orca Bay, the former Vancouver Canucks ownership group.
Here’s more, from CBC:
Bertuzzi and Orca Bay lost an appeal to keep secret the details of an agreement that shares costs between them should they lose the lawsuit brought against them by Moore.
Moore’s lawyer, Tim Danson, learned of the agreement earlier in 2012 and won a decision to have it released to him, but not for public disclosure.
It’s worth noting the Bertuzzi-Moore incident might not actually get to trial, but rather be settled out of court prior to next September.
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 24
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 17
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 56
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (56)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)