Dec 18, 2013, 5:24 PM EDT
The St. Louis Blues have agreed to terms with forward Alexander Steen on a three-year contract extension worth $17.4 million.
Steen already has 22 goals this season. And though the 29-year-old has just two goals in his last nine games, only Alex Ovechkin has more goals (28) than 22. (Anaheim’s Corey Perry also has 22 goals.)
Steen’s cap hit of $5.8 million for the following three seasons certainly seems reasonable given comparable players’ deals, not to mention the expected rise in the salary cap. Though it should be noted that, with just a pair of 20-goal seasons under his belt prior to this one, his entire body of work isn’t as impressive as what he’s done this season. His best goal-scoring season came in 2009-10, when he scored 24 times for the Blues.
Steen has 145 goals in 570 regular-season NHL games. He could have become an unrestricted free agent this summer.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)