Dec 18, 2013, 12:45 PM EDT
Methot, who sat out Monday’s 3-2 OT win over St. Louis with the flu, is back to full health and ready to rejoin the lineup. The only catch? Sens head coach Paul MacLean was pleased with how the team played against the Blues — rookie d-man Cody Ceci played 21 minutes and scored his first NHL goal in the extra session — so MacLean is prepared to employ the if-it-ain’t-broke-don’t-fix-it approach.
As such, the Sens will continue to roll with Ceci, Joe Corvo, Jared Cowen, Chris Phillips, Erik Karlsson and Patrick Wiercioch as their six defensemen tonight. Methot said he’s “okay” with the decision but, according to the Ottawa Sun, isn’t happy with this latest turn of events.
The 28-year-old rearguard was a vital contributor for Ottawa during the lockout-shortened ’13 campaign, scoring 11 points in 47 games while averaging 22:14 TOI per night. His steadying presence in the absence of Karlsson earned him high praise, enough to warrant an invite to Team Canada’s Olympic orientation camp this summer.
Methot has two goals and five assists through 31 games this year, averaging 21:28 per.
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 0
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 58
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 11
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 43
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 49
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 86
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (136)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)