Dec 18, 2013, 12:45 PM EDT
Methot, who sat out Monday’s 3-2 OT win over St. Louis with the flu, is back to full health and ready to rejoin the lineup. The only catch? Sens head coach Paul MacLean was pleased with how the team played against the Blues — rookie d-man Cody Ceci played 21 minutes and scored his first NHL goal in the extra session — so MacLean is prepared to employ the if-it-ain’t-broke-don’t-fix-it approach.
As such, the Sens will continue to roll with Ceci, Joe Corvo, Jared Cowen, Chris Phillips, Erik Karlsson and Patrick Wiercioch as their six defensemen tonight. Methot said he’s “okay” with the decision but, according to the Ottawa Sun, isn’t happy with this latest turn of events.
The 28-year-old rearguard was a vital contributor for Ottawa during the lockout-shortened ’13 campaign, scoring 11 points in 47 games while averaging 22:14 TOI per night. His steadying presence in the absence of Karlsson earned him high praise, enough to warrant an invite to Team Canada’s Olympic orientation camp this summer.
Methot has two goals and five assists through 31 games this year, averaging 21:28 per.
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 4
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 4
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Report: Dal Colle signs with Islanders (Updated) 1
- Bridge built: Blues lock up Schwartz to two-year deal reportedly worth $4.7M 12
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys (28)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)