Dec 18, 2013, 12:45 PM EDT
Methot, who sat out Monday’s 3-2 OT win over St. Louis with the flu, is back to full health and ready to rejoin the lineup. The only catch? Sens head coach Paul MacLean was pleased with how the team played against the Blues — rookie d-man Cody Ceci played 21 minutes and scored his first NHL goal in the extra session — so MacLean is prepared to employ the if-it-ain’t-broke-don’t-fix-it approach.
As such, the Sens will continue to roll with Ceci, Joe Corvo, Jared Cowen, Chris Phillips, Erik Karlsson and Patrick Wiercioch as their six defensemen tonight. Methot said he’s “okay” with the decision but, according to the Ottawa Sun, isn’t happy with this latest turn of events.
The 28-year-old rearguard was a vital contributor for Ottawa during the lockout-shortened ’13 campaign, scoring 11 points in 47 games while averaging 22:14 TOI per night. His steadying presence in the absence of Karlsson earned him high praise, enough to warrant an invite to Team Canada’s Olympic orientation camp this summer.
Methot has two goals and five assists through 31 games this year, averaging 21:28 per.
- WATCH LIVE: Montreal Canadiens vs. Tampa Bay Lightning (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets vs. Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 1) 1
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 70
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 30
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 53
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 34
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 41
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (70)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (53)