Dec 18, 2013, 8:38 PM EDT
Faced with a rash of injuries at forward, the Red Wings recalled veteran winger Jordin Tootoo from AHL Grand Rapids on Wednesday.
Tootoo, 30, was wavied in early November and was shipped to the American League after going unclaimed. He’s scored four points in 12 games with the Griffins and, based on what Mike Babcock said prior the demotion, Tootoo should receive a warm welcome back to the team.
“The situation here is we have too many right wingers,” Babcock explained. “We’re not giving [Tootoo] a fair opportunity.
“He’s done nothing wrong, he’s played hard, he’s been a good teammate.”
The subject of trade rumors for months prior to being waived, Tootoo never really found his niche in Detroit after signing a three-year, $5.7 million deal with the club on the opening day of free agency in 2012.
He appeared in eight games for the Wings this year, going pointless with a minus-4 rating, but is being given a second chance with Henrik Zetterberg, Stephen Weiss, Darren Helm, Johan Franzen, Gustav Nyquist and Justin Abdelkader all sidelined due to injury.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 10
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)