Dec 18, 2013, 8:38 PM EDT
Faced with a rash of injuries at forward, the Red Wings recalled veteran winger Jordin Tootoo from AHL Grand Rapids on Wednesday.
Tootoo, 30, was wavied in early November and was shipped to the American League after going unclaimed. He’s scored four points in 12 games with the Griffins and, based on what Mike Babcock said prior the demotion, Tootoo should receive a warm welcome back to the team.
“The situation here is we have too many right wingers,” Babcock explained. “We’re not giving [Tootoo] a fair opportunity.
“He’s done nothing wrong, he’s played hard, he’s been a good teammate.”
The subject of trade rumors for months prior to being waived, Tootoo never really found his niche in Detroit after signing a three-year, $5.7 million deal with the club on the opening day of free agency in 2012.
He appeared in eight games for the Wings this year, going pointless with a minus-4 rating, but is being given a second chance with Henrik Zetterberg, Stephen Weiss, Darren Helm, Johan Franzen, Gustav Nyquist and Justin Abdelkader all sidelined due to injury.
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 6
- Five big games to watch this weekend 7
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 15
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 56
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)