Dec 18, 2013, 8:38 PM EST
Faced with a rash of injuries at forward, the Red Wings recalled veteran winger Jordin Tootoo from AHL Grand Rapids on Wednesday.
Tootoo, 30, was wavied in early November and was shipped to the American League after going unclaimed. He’s scored four points in 12 games with the Griffins and, based on what Mike Babcock said prior the demotion, Tootoo should receive a warm welcome back to the team.
“The situation here is we have too many right wingers,” Babcock explained. “We’re not giving [Tootoo] a fair opportunity.
“He’s done nothing wrong, he’s played hard, he’s been a good teammate.”
The subject of trade rumors for months prior to being waived, Tootoo never really found his niche in Detroit after signing a three-year, $5.7 million deal with the club on the opening day of free agency in 2012.
He appeared in eight games for the Wings this year, going pointless with a minus-4 rating, but is being given a second chance with Henrik Zetterberg, Stephen Weiss, Darren Helm, Johan Franzen, Gustav Nyquist and Justin Abdelkader all sidelined due to injury.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 34
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 49
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 17
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 33
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 11
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 49
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 50
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 67
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (169)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)