Dec 18, 2013, 8:38 PM EDT
Faced with a rash of injuries at forward, the Red Wings recalled veteran winger Jordin Tootoo from AHL Grand Rapids on Wednesday.
Tootoo, 30, was wavied in early November and was shipped to the American League after going unclaimed. He’s scored four points in 12 games with the Griffins and, based on what Mike Babcock said prior the demotion, Tootoo should receive a warm welcome back to the team.
“The situation here is we have too many right wingers,” Babcock explained. “We’re not giving [Tootoo] a fair opportunity.
“He’s done nothing wrong, he’s played hard, he’s been a good teammate.”
The subject of trade rumors for months prior to being waived, Tootoo never really found his niche in Detroit after signing a three-year, $5.7 million deal with the club on the opening day of free agency in 2012.
He appeared in eight games for the Wings this year, going pointless with a minus-4 rating, but is being given a second chance with Henrik Zetterberg, Stephen Weiss, Darren Helm, Johan Franzen, Gustav Nyquist and Justin Abdelkader all sidelined due to injury.
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 8
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 8
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 25
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 40
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 34
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- New Caps regime plans to keep Ovechkin at RW (for now) (42)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (40)
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal (39)