Dec 18, 2013, 8:38 PM EDT
Faced with a rash of injuries at forward, the Red Wings recalled veteran winger Jordin Tootoo from AHL Grand Rapids on Wednesday.
Tootoo, 30, was wavied in early November and was shipped to the American League after going unclaimed. He’s scored four points in 12 games with the Griffins and, based on what Mike Babcock said prior the demotion, Tootoo should receive a warm welcome back to the team.
“The situation here is we have too many right wingers,” Babcock explained. “We’re not giving [Tootoo] a fair opportunity.
“He’s done nothing wrong, he’s played hard, he’s been a good teammate.”
The subject of trade rumors for months prior to being waived, Tootoo never really found his niche in Detroit after signing a three-year, $5.7 million deal with the club on the opening day of free agency in 2012.
He appeared in eight games for the Wings this year, going pointless with a minus-4 rating, but is being given a second chance with Henrik Zetterberg, Stephen Weiss, Darren Helm, Johan Franzen, Gustav Nyquist and Justin Abdelkader all sidelined due to injury.
- Bylsma rips Penguins, calls effort level ‘troubling’ 17
- Cooke: I didn’t intend to collide knee-on-knee with Barrie 61
- On ‘score effects,’ and the challenges of playing with the lead 8
- MacKinnon: Avs ‘shut ourselves down’ in Game 3, not Wild 23
- Bergeron, Kopitar and Toews named Selke finalists 31
- Report: Zetterberg to return to Detroit lineup tonight (Update: Game-time decision) 60
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 34
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 21
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 94
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 104
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)