Dec 18, 2013, 9:02 PM EDT
The Nashville Predators activated rookie Filip Forsberg (concussion) off injured reserve Wednesday, then assigned him to their AHL affiliate in Milwaukee.
According to Preds head coach Barry Trotz, this was the plan all along.
“Once he’s up to speed, he should start in Milwaukee, because he has missed over a month now, and that’s hard to go right back,” Trotz told The Tennessean. “He needs to get touches with the puck, and once he does that I assume, and I expect him to get his game back where he can contribute up here.”
Exactly when Forsberg starts contributing in Nashville remains to be seen.
The 19-year-old is still eligible to play for Sweden at the World Juniors and, given he was a member of the silver medal-winning team in ’13 and gold medal-winning team in ’12, is probably coveted by the Swedish Hockey Federation for this year’s tourney.
Last week, Trotz floated the idea of Forsberg taking part.
“If he’s ready to come back and play, him and his agent have been offered the chance to play for Sweden,” Trotz told The Game radio 102.5 Nashville, as per Section 303. “We need him back playing, whatever level that may be, a the World Junior Championships, for us or for Milwaukee.
“He’s a young player that needs to be playing.”
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 0
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 4
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 15
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 88
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 10
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 12
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 17
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 34
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (89)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (89)