Dec 18, 2013, 9:02 PM EDT
The Nashville Predators activated rookie Filip Forsberg (concussion) off injured reserve Wednesday, then assigned him to their AHL affiliate in Milwaukee.
According to Preds head coach Barry Trotz, this was the plan all along.
“Once he’s up to speed, he should start in Milwaukee, because he has missed over a month now, and that’s hard to go right back,” Trotz told The Tennessean. “He needs to get touches with the puck, and once he does that I assume, and I expect him to get his game back where he can contribute up here.”
Exactly when Forsberg starts contributing in Nashville remains to be seen.
The 19-year-old is still eligible to play for Sweden at the World Juniors and, given he was a member of the silver medal-winning team in ’13 and gold medal-winning team in ’12, is probably coveted by the Swedish Hockey Federation for this year’s tourney.
Last week, Trotz floated the idea of Forsberg taking part.
“If he’s ready to come back and play, him and his agent have been offered the chance to play for Sweden,” Trotz told The Game radio 102.5 Nashville, as per Section 303. “We need him back playing, whatever level that may be, a the World Junior Championships, for us or for Milwaukee.
“He’s a young player that needs to be playing.”
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 19
- All eyes on Lundqvist 8
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 9
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 27
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)