Dec 18, 2013, 9:02 PM EDT
The Nashville Predators activated rookie Filip Forsberg (concussion) off injured reserve Wednesday, then assigned him to their AHL affiliate in Milwaukee.
According to Preds head coach Barry Trotz, this was the plan all along.
“Once he’s up to speed, he should start in Milwaukee, because he has missed over a month now, and that’s hard to go right back,” Trotz told The Tennessean. “He needs to get touches with the puck, and once he does that I assume, and I expect him to get his game back where he can contribute up here.”
Exactly when Forsberg starts contributing in Nashville remains to be seen.
The 19-year-old is still eligible to play for Sweden at the World Juniors and, given he was a member of the silver medal-winning team in ’13 and gold medal-winning team in ’12, is probably coveted by the Swedish Hockey Federation for this year’s tourney.
Last week, Trotz floated the idea of Forsberg taking part.
“If he’s ready to come back and play, him and his agent have been offered the chance to play for Sweden,” Trotz told The Game radio 102.5 Nashville, as per Section 303. “We need him back playing, whatever level that may be, a the World Junior Championships, for us or for Milwaukee.
“He’s a young player that needs to be playing.”
- Even after big changes, Isles still struggling defensively 2
- Back to junior: Sabres return Reinhart to WHL Kootenay 1
- Report: Phone hearing for Burrows, who says hit on Emelin wasn’t late 16
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 12
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 31
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 4
- Video: Lucic and Stewart drop the gloves 24
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 5
- Struggling Coyotes ‘not anywhere good enough,’ says GM 9
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 8
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)