Dec 18, 2013, 1:21 AM EDT
At this point, many people are probably still asking: “Who is Martin Jones?” The most appropriate answer might just be, “The hottest goalie in the NHL.”
The 23-year-old improved his record to 6-0-0 and bagged his third shutout as the Los Angeles Kings beat the Edmonton Oilers on Tuesday. His stat line seems like the work of video game cheat codes; along with that spotless record, Jones has only allowed five goals on 177 shots (good for a .972 save percentage and .82 GAA).
If you want a little more background on Jones, he’s an undrafted goalie who earned a deal with the Kings after a tryout. He had a distinguished WHL career with the Calgary Hitmen and has quietly put up strong numbers with the AHL’s Manchester Monarchs. He also won a silver medal backing up Jake Allen with the Canadian World Junior team in 2010.
In other words, it’s understandable if you’ve never heard of him or didn’t expect him to make an NHL impact any time soon, but it’s probably not fair to call him a nobody.
Whatever way you slice it, the Kings are reaping the rewards of unexpectedly strong work from Jones and Ben Scrivens before him. Since Jonathan Quick went down with that groin injury, Los Angeles is a stupefying 12-2-3 in 17 games.
Meanwhile, the Oilers remain one of the many teams that must envy the Kings’ embarrassment of riches in net. They have a four-game winning streak as neither Devan Dubynk nor Ilya Bryzgalov have been able to get them over the hump lately.
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 9
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 1
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 26
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 35
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)