Dec 18, 2013, 1:21 AM EDT
At this point, many people are probably still asking: “Who is Martin Jones?” The most appropriate answer might just be, “The hottest goalie in the NHL.”
The 23-year-old improved his record to 6-0-0 and bagged his third shutout as the Los Angeles Kings beat the Edmonton Oilers on Tuesday. His stat line seems like the work of video game cheat codes; along with that spotless record, Jones has only allowed five goals on 177 shots (good for a .972 save percentage and .82 GAA).
If you want a little more background on Jones, he’s an undrafted goalie who earned a deal with the Kings after a tryout. He had a distinguished WHL career with the Calgary Hitmen and has quietly put up strong numbers with the AHL’s Manchester Monarchs. He also won a silver medal backing up Jake Allen with the Canadian World Junior team in 2010.
In other words, it’s understandable if you’ve never heard of him or didn’t expect him to make an NHL impact any time soon, but it’s probably not fair to call him a nobody.
Whatever way you slice it, the Kings are reaping the rewards of unexpectedly strong work from Jones and Ben Scrivens before him. Since Jonathan Quick went down with that groin injury, Los Angeles is a stupefying 12-2-3 in 17 games.
Meanwhile, the Oilers remain one of the many teams that must envy the Kings’ embarrassment of riches in net. They have a four-game winning streak as neither Devan Dubynk nor Ilya Bryzgalov have been able to get them over the hump lately.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 8
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 3
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 24
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 19
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)