Dec 18, 2013, 1:05 PM EDT
Evgeni Malkin‘s lower-body ailment will sideline him for three games.
Malkin, who already missed Monday’s 3-1 win over Toronto, will be held out of tonight’s Rivalry Night game against the Rangers on NBCSN and Thursday’s game against Minnesota, according to Pens head coach Dan Bylsma.
Health-wise, this calendar year has been a tough one for Malkin. He’s already missed a pair of games this season with a lower-body ailment, which comes after a injury-plagued ’13 campaign that saw him miss 17 games with upper-body and concussion issues.
When healthy, though, Malkin has been dynamic.
He won two first star of the week honors in November and finished as the NHL’s second star for the month, notching 21 assists — according to the Elias Sports Bureau, his 21 assists were the most by an NHL player in one calendar month since January 1996, when Wayne Gretzky recorded 21 helpers for the Los Angeles Kings.
Malkin currently sits third in NHL scoring with 41 points in 32 games, and leads all skaters with 32 assists.
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- The King is back: Lundqvist starts for Rangers Saturday 7
- Five big games to watch this weekend 7
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 16
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 58
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)