Dec 18, 2013, 11:01 AM EDT
John Tortorella was none too pleased about the hit that knocked Vancouver defenseman Ryan Stanton out of Tuesday’s game versus Minnesota.
And he was equally displeased with the guy that threw the hit — Wild forward Zenon Konopka.
“It shouldn’t have been a minor,” Tortorella said of Konopka’s two-minute tripping penalty, as per the Vancouver Sun. “That’s what I thought. We are trying to get that play out of the game and look at the person who is doing it.
“I just thought it should have been more than a minor.”
Konopka, 32, has a reputation as a tough, hard-nosed checking forward that’s not afraid to fight — and he has had brushes with the NHL’s Department of Player Safety. He was fined $2,500 for verbally abusing Brian Boyle during pregame warmups in the Rangers-Senators playoff series of ’12 but, it must be noted, has never been suspended during his eight-year, 320-game NHL career.
As for Stanton, he returned briefly after crashing hard into the boards feet-first on the Konopka hit (his ankle looked to have turned awkwardly.) Stanton played just one more shift before shutting it down for the night, re-emerging postgame in a walking boot.
“I don’t know what it is,” Tortorella said of Stanton’s injury. “He is going to get evaluated.”
UPDATE: If you want to see the trip, click here and FF to the :35 mark. Thanks to PHT commenter kgod30 for finding the link.
UPDATE 2: Stanton has been sent back to Vancouver for evaluation, meaning he’s out for the remainder of the trip (at Dallas on Thursday, at Chicago on Friday.) It’s likely that Andrew Alberts will draw back into the lineup.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 1
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 15
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 18
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (49)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)