Dec 18, 2013, 9:41 PM EDT
There was good news surrounding L.A. Kings defenseman Willie Mitchell on Wednesday, as he took part in an optional practice.
As per L.A. Kings Insider, it was the first time he’s hit the ice since leaving Saturday’s game against the Ottawa Senators when he took a hard hit from Chris Neil.
Mitchell, who suffered an upper-body injury as a result of the hit, came back in the second period, but then sat out the third. There was some speculation perhaps it was a concussion, especially since he has a history with concussions throughout his career.
“It’s kind of a fine line between doing that and then also being a liability. You don’t want to be a liability either,” said Mitchell, as per L.A. Kings Insider.
“If you can’t play because you don’t have the strength or battle and doing all those things you do as a defenseman, then I don’t want to be on the ice doing that either. That’s why I decided it was time to leave. The last couple days, it’s just getting a little bit of rest and I’ll hopefully be right back at it.”
Mitchell, 36, has played 13 seasons in the National Hockey League. In 33 games this season, he has four assists.
The Kings host the San Jose Sharks in a Pacific Division battle on Thursday. The Kings currently lead the Sharks by two points for that second spot in the ultra competitive division.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 0
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 26
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)