Dec 18, 2013, 9:41 PM EDT
There was good news surrounding L.A. Kings defenseman Willie Mitchell on Wednesday, as he took part in an optional practice.
As per L.A. Kings Insider, it was the first time he’s hit the ice since leaving Saturday’s game against the Ottawa Senators when he took a hard hit from Chris Neil.
Mitchell, who suffered an upper-body injury as a result of the hit, came back in the second period, but then sat out the third. There was some speculation perhaps it was a concussion, especially since he has a history with concussions throughout his career.
“It’s kind of a fine line between doing that and then also being a liability. You don’t want to be a liability either,” said Mitchell, as per L.A. Kings Insider.
“If you can’t play because you don’t have the strength or battle and doing all those things you do as a defenseman, then I don’t want to be on the ice doing that either. That’s why I decided it was time to leave. The last couple days, it’s just getting a little bit of rest and I’ll hopefully be right back at it.”
Mitchell, 36, has played 13 seasons in the National Hockey League. In 33 games this season, he has four assists.
The Kings host the San Jose Sharks in a Pacific Division battle on Thursday. The Kings currently lead the Sharks by two points for that second spot in the ultra competitive division.
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 32
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 9
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (33)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)