Dec 18, 2013, 9:41 PM EDT
There was good news surrounding L.A. Kings defenseman Willie Mitchell on Wednesday, as he took part in an optional practice.
As per L.A. Kings Insider, it was the first time he’s hit the ice since leaving Saturday’s game against the Ottawa Senators when he took a hard hit from Chris Neil.
Mitchell, who suffered an upper-body injury as a result of the hit, came back in the second period, but then sat out the third. There was some speculation perhaps it was a concussion, especially since he has a history with concussions throughout his career.
“It’s kind of a fine line between doing that and then also being a liability. You don’t want to be a liability either,” said Mitchell, as per L.A. Kings Insider.
“If you can’t play because you don’t have the strength or battle and doing all those things you do as a defenseman, then I don’t want to be on the ice doing that either. That’s why I decided it was time to leave. The last couple days, it’s just getting a little bit of rest and I’ll hopefully be right back at it.”
Mitchell, 36, has played 13 seasons in the National Hockey League. In 33 games this season, he has four assists.
The Kings host the San Jose Sharks in a Pacific Division battle on Thursday. The Kings currently lead the Sharks by two points for that second spot in the ultra competitive division.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 9
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 10
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 72
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)