Dec 18, 2013, 11:54 AM EDT
Kevin Cheveldayoff may be frustrated, and he’s willing to make a move if the right one presents itself. But the Jets’ general manager isn’t going to make a change just for the sake of change.
“On this side of it, you make calls, you take calls, you’re always looking and talking to different people within the game, other managers, your scouts,” Cheveldayoff said, per the Winnipeg Free Press.
“There are multiple, easy avenues that seem like they’re the way to go but there are 30 teams in this league that are doing the same thing and trying to effect that ultimate goal and that’s to win the Stanley Cup.”
The Jets seem pretty far away from that ultimate goal these days. After a good win Monday in Columbus, they blew a 2-0 lead last night in Buffalo, eventually falling 4-2 to the Sabres, aka the worst team in the NHL.
Firing coach Claude Noel would be the easiest change for Cheveldayoff to make. But then, is the coach really the problem?
A big trade would shake things up as well. But mid-season swaps are typically tougher to make, and they’re especially tough this season with so many teams up against the salary cap.
After 36 games, Winnipeg sits 10 points back of the final wild-card spot in the Western Conference. According to Sports Club Stats, the Jets have a 1.6 percent chance of making the postseason. Which is to say, if Cheveldayoff is realistic, 2013-14 may be beyond salvaging in terms of making the playoffs.
But if he holds off on any major change before the season ends and his team does indeed miss the playoffs (again), staying inactive during the summer may not be an option in a city that’s moved beyond the excitement of having its hockey team back. The fans want results now.
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 5
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 19
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 4
- Video: Lucic and Stewart drop the gloves 20
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 5
- Struggling Coyotes ‘not anywhere good enough,’ says GM 9
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 8
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 5
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)