Dec 18, 2013, 11:54 AM EDT
Kevin Cheveldayoff may be frustrated, and he’s willing to make a move if the right one presents itself. But the Jets’ general manager isn’t going to make a change just for the sake of change.
“On this side of it, you make calls, you take calls, you’re always looking and talking to different people within the game, other managers, your scouts,” Cheveldayoff said, per the Winnipeg Free Press.
“There are multiple, easy avenues that seem like they’re the way to go but there are 30 teams in this league that are doing the same thing and trying to effect that ultimate goal and that’s to win the Stanley Cup.”
The Jets seem pretty far away from that ultimate goal these days. After a good win Monday in Columbus, they blew a 2-0 lead last night in Buffalo, eventually falling 4-2 to the Sabres, aka the worst team in the NHL.
Firing coach Claude Noel would be the easiest change for Cheveldayoff to make. But then, is the coach really the problem?
A big trade would shake things up as well. But mid-season swaps are typically tougher to make, and they’re especially tough this season with so many teams up against the salary cap.
After 36 games, Winnipeg sits 10 points back of the final wild-card spot in the Western Conference. According to Sports Club Stats, the Jets have a 1.6 percent chance of making the postseason. Which is to say, if Cheveldayoff is realistic, 2013-14 may be beyond salvaging in terms of making the playoffs.
But if he holds off on any major change before the season ends and his team does indeed miss the playoffs (again), staying inactive during the summer may not be an option in a city that’s moved beyond the excitement of having its hockey team back. The fans want results now.
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 7
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 22
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 7
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 13
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 47
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 21
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 9
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22