Dec 18, 2013, 3:08 PM EST
The NHL has suspended Pittsburgh defenseman Deryk Engelland five games for hitting Detroit forward Justin Abdelkader in the head on Saturday night.
“Engelland tucks his shoulder and drives through Abdelkader, recklessly picking his head and making it the main point of contact,” explained Patrick Burke of the NHL’s Department of Player Safety. “Abdelkader is leaning forward and his head is exposed.”
Here’s the video:
Engelland was given a match penalty for illegal check to the head and was tossed from the game. Abdelkader struggled to get up and didn’t return, and is currently out of action while undergoing concussion protocol.
As for suspension length, the Pittsburgh rearguard’s prior history was taken into account — Engelland was suspended three games for a hit on Chicago’s Marcus Kruger during the 2011-12 campaign — as was the fact Abdelkader suffered an injury.
Engelland will miss Pittsburgh’s next five (EDIT: four, having already served one) games — at New York Rangers, versus Minnesota, versus Calgary and at Ottawa.
He will also forfeit $14,529.90 in salary to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (73)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)