Dec 18, 2013, 3:08 PM EDT
The NHL has suspended Pittsburgh defenseman Deryk Engelland five games for hitting Detroit forward Justin Abdelkader in the head on Saturday night.
“Engelland tucks his shoulder and drives through Abdelkader, recklessly picking his head and making it the main point of contact,” explained Patrick Burke of the NHL’s Department of Player Safety. “Abdelkader is leaning forward and his head is exposed.”
Here’s the video:
Engelland was given a match penalty for illegal check to the head and was tossed from the game. Abdelkader struggled to get up and didn’t return, and is currently out of action while undergoing concussion protocol.
As for suspension length, the Pittsburgh rearguard’s prior history was taken into account — Engelland was suspended three games for a hit on Chicago’s Marcus Kruger during the 2011-12 campaign — as was the fact Abdelkader suffered an injury.
Engelland will miss Pittsburgh’s next five (EDIT: four, having already served one) games — at New York Rangers, versus Minnesota, versus Calgary and at Ottawa.
He will also forfeit $14,529.90 in salary to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund.
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 0
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- The King is back: Lundqvist starts for Rangers Saturday 7
- Five big games to watch this weekend 7
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 16
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 58
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)