Dec 18, 2013, 11:12 PM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins are rolling. The New York Rangers, despite a late third-period comeback Wednesday, are not.
The Penguins coughed up a two-goal lead in the final eight minutes of the third period, but still prevailed with a 4-3 shootout victory over the Rangers on Rivalry Night.
- Chris Kunitz collided heavily with Rangers’ goalie Henrik Lundqvist at the side of the net early in overtime. Kunitz was called for goalie interference. It was a high speed collision, although Lundqvist had gone just outside his crease at the time.
- By the way, that was one entertaining overtime. Lundqvist, shaken up earlier in the extra frame, made a huge stop off the league leader in points, Sidney Crosby, to give his team a chance.
- Brandon Sutter scored a beauty in the third period to give Pittsburgh a two-goal lead, but boy did he take Michael Del Zotto to school with the outside-inside move. Del Zotto has been in Alain Vigneault’s doghouse already this season, and that play likely isn’t going to help.
- Sutter would score the only goal in the deciding skills competition, on a shot through the legs of Lundqvist, in the fifth round.
- Quick strike offence for Penguins: Two goals in one minute and one second in the third period. Pascal Dupuis gave them the lead on a sweet set up from Crosby.
- The Rangers couldn’t capitalize on a four-on-three power play in the overtime, but scored the equalizer with a late third-period power play to earn at least the point.
- Kunitz for the Canadian men’s Olympic hockey team – yes? No?
- Lively bounce off the end boards on the Rangers’ tying goal, or was Marc-Andre Fleury too slow getting over to his right for Derick Brassard‘s bad-angle shot that went top corner?
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 71
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5