Dec 18, 2013, 11:12 PM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins are rolling. The New York Rangers, despite a late third-period comeback Wednesday, are not.
The Penguins coughed up a two-goal lead in the final eight minutes of the third period, but still prevailed with a 4-3 shootout victory over the Rangers on Rivalry Night.
- Chris Kunitz collided heavily with Rangers’ goalie Henrik Lundqvist at the side of the net early in overtime. Kunitz was called for goalie interference. It was a high speed collision, although Lundqvist had gone just outside his crease at the time.
- By the way, that was one entertaining overtime. Lundqvist, shaken up earlier in the extra frame, made a huge stop off the league leader in points, Sidney Crosby, to give his team a chance.
- Brandon Sutter scored a beauty in the third period to give Pittsburgh a two-goal lead, but boy did he take Michael Del Zotto to school with the outside-inside move. Del Zotto has been in Alain Vigneault’s doghouse already this season, and that play likely isn’t going to help.
- Sutter would score the only goal in the deciding skills competition, on a shot through the legs of Lundqvist, in the fifth round.
- Quick strike offence for Penguins: Two goals in one minute and one second in the third period. Pascal Dupuis gave them the lead on a sweet set up from Crosby.
- The Rangers couldn’t capitalize on a four-on-three power play in the overtime, but scored the equalizer with a late third-period power play to earn at least the point.
- Kunitz for the Canadian men’s Olympic hockey team – yes? No?
- Lively bounce off the end boards on the Rangers’ tying goal, or was Marc-Andre Fleury too slow getting over to his right for Derick Brassard‘s bad-angle shot that went top corner?
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 5
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 29
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 10
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)