Dec 18, 2013, 4:21 PM EST
The New Jersey Devils have struggled to a 13-15-6 record and have just two wins in their last seven games, but they’re not desperate for general manager Lou Lamoriello to go out and get them some help.
“Do we need to make a trade? No, not really. We have a lot of guys here. We’re missing a lot of players that will be coming back,” veteran forward Patrik Elias said, per The Star-Ledger. “We’ll see what we can do when everyone is healthy. In the meantime, the young guys are doing a great job. The young guys have stepped in, stayed in the mix and given us a different game.”
Injuries have certainly been a factor:
Also, it’s not like the Devils have been getting blown out. In fact, there’s a case to be made they’ve been downright unlucky. A newish statistic called PDO, which combines shooting percentage and save percentage, is used by its advocates as a proxy for luck. And the Devils rank 29th in PDO when the score is close, with only the Florida Panthers ranking lower.
The Devils host Ottawa tonight.
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 4
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 6
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 10
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 25
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)