Dec 18, 2013, 4:21 PM EDT
The New Jersey Devils have struggled to a 13-15-6 record and have just two wins in their last seven games, but they’re not desperate for general manager Lou Lamoriello to go out and get them some help.
“Do we need to make a trade? No, not really. We have a lot of guys here. We’re missing a lot of players that will be coming back,” veteran forward Patrik Elias said, per The Star-Ledger. “We’ll see what we can do when everyone is healthy. In the meantime, the young guys are doing a great job. The young guys have stepped in, stayed in the mix and given us a different game.”
Injuries have certainly been a factor:
Also, it’s not like the Devils have been getting blown out. In fact, there’s a case to be made they’ve been downright unlucky. A newish statistic called PDO, which combines shooting percentage and save percentage, is used by its advocates as a proxy for luck. And the Devils rank 29th in PDO when the score is close, with only the Florida Panthers ranking lower.
The Devils host Ottawa tonight.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 4
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 7
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)