Dec 18, 2013, 4:21 PM EDT
The New Jersey Devils have struggled to a 13-15-6 record and have just two wins in their last seven games, but they’re not desperate for general manager Lou Lamoriello to go out and get them some help.
“Do we need to make a trade? No, not really. We have a lot of guys here. We’re missing a lot of players that will be coming back,” veteran forward Patrik Elias said, per The Star-Ledger. “We’ll see what we can do when everyone is healthy. In the meantime, the young guys are doing a great job. The young guys have stepped in, stayed in the mix and given us a different game.”
Injuries have certainly been a factor:
Also, it’s not like the Devils have been getting blown out. In fact, there’s a case to be made they’ve been downright unlucky. A newish statistic called PDO, which combines shooting percentage and save percentage, is used by its advocates as a proxy for luck. And the Devils rank 29th in PDO when the score is close, with only the Florida Panthers ranking lower.
The Devils host Ottawa tonight.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 3
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 25
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 53
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)