Dec 18, 2013, 4:21 PM EDT
The New Jersey Devils have struggled to a 13-15-6 record and have just two wins in their last seven games, but they’re not desperate for general manager Lou Lamoriello to go out and get them some help.
“Do we need to make a trade? No, not really. We have a lot of guys here. We’re missing a lot of players that will be coming back,” veteran forward Patrik Elias said, per The Star-Ledger. “We’ll see what we can do when everyone is healthy. In the meantime, the young guys are doing a great job. The young guys have stepped in, stayed in the mix and given us a different game.”
Injuries have certainly been a factor:
Also, it’s not like the Devils have been getting blown out. In fact, there’s a case to be made they’ve been downright unlucky. A newish statistic called PDO, which combines shooting percentage and save percentage, is used by its advocates as a proxy for luck. And the Devils rank 29th in PDO when the score is close, with only the Florida Panthers ranking lower.
The Devils host Ottawa tonight.
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 6
- WATCH LIVE: Washington Capitals at Pittsburgh Penguins 2
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 13
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 54
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (68)
- Flyers’ Luke Schenn on first-period brawl: ‘That’s the way it goes’ (57)