Dec 18, 2013, 3:10 PM EDT
From CSN New England’s Joe Haggerty:
Chiarelli is, of course, referring to Marchand pretending to raise the Stanley Cup and kissing his ring finger Saturday in Vancouver.
Love or hate what he did (like the general manager, coach Claude Julien didn’t care for it), the Bruins were losing by multiple goals at the time Marchand was taunting the Canucks about 2011. On top of that, it’s not like the 25-year-old is enjoying a fantastic season, with just five goals in 34 games. That’s not great production considering he’s in the first year of a four-year, $18 million contract.
That said, Marchand was one of the Bruins’ better forwards Saturday in Vancouver. It’s entirely possible a little animosity helps his game.
There are limits though.
“Sometimes his emotions get the better of him,” Julien said after the game, per the Canadian Press. “We work with him and we are going to continue to work with him. The perception it gives our organization is not what you want to see with those kind of things.”
Haggerty has more here.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)