Dec 18, 2013, 9:45 AM EDT
Wilson’s major penalty for charging helped turn the tide of the game as the Flyers scored twice on the power play. You’d think the Capitals would be upset about a young player taking a bad penalty. You’d be very wrong.
CSNWashington.com’s Chuck Gormley heard from Caps GM George McPhee who called it “a great hit.” Coach Adam Oates said he thought the hit was “clean” and wasn’t worthy of a penalty. Captain Alex Ovechkin even expounded on it.
“To be honest with you I don’t think it was a dirty play,” Ovechkin said. “He saw him coming. He turned and Willy’s a big boy. It’s always dangerous play out there, but it’s hockey.
“When you get a hit, you have to be ready, especially today. I don’t think [Schenn] was ready. Willy finished his check and I don’t think it was two minutes. It was a good hit.”
Safe to say the Flyers feel differently. As for how the league feels, we should find out soon enough.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 20
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5