Dec 18, 2013, 9:45 AM EDT
Wilson’s major penalty for charging helped turn the tide of the game as the Flyers scored twice on the power play. You’d think the Capitals would be upset about a young player taking a bad penalty. You’d be very wrong.
CSNWashington.com’s Chuck Gormley heard from Caps GM George McPhee who called it “a great hit.” Coach Adam Oates said he thought the hit was “clean” and wasn’t worthy of a penalty. Captain Alex Ovechkin even expounded on it.
“To be honest with you I don’t think it was a dirty play,” Ovechkin said. “He saw him coming. He turned and Willy’s a big boy. It’s always dangerous play out there, but it’s hockey.
“When you get a hit, you have to be ready, especially today. I don’t think [Schenn] was ready. Willy finished his check and I don’t think it was two minutes. It was a good hit.”
Safe to say the Flyers feel differently. As for how the league feels, we should find out soon enough.
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 3
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 26
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 42
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)