Dec 18, 2013, 9:45 AM EDT
Wilson’s major penalty for charging helped turn the tide of the game as the Flyers scored twice on the power play. You’d think the Capitals would be upset about a young player taking a bad penalty. You’d be very wrong.
CSNWashington.com’s Chuck Gormley heard from Caps GM George McPhee who called it “a great hit.” Coach Adam Oates said he thought the hit was “clean” and wasn’t worthy of a penalty. Captain Alex Ovechkin even expounded on it.
“To be honest with you I don’t think it was a dirty play,” Ovechkin said. “He saw him coming. He turned and Willy’s a big boy. It’s always dangerous play out there, but it’s hockey.
“When you get a hit, you have to be ready, especially today. I don’t think [Schenn] was ready. Willy finished his check and I don’t think it was two minutes. It was a good hit.”
Safe to say the Flyers feel differently. As for how the league feels, we should find out soon enough.
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 22
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 17
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 52
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 9
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 12
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 22
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 24
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 39