Dec 18, 2013, 2:09 PM EST
David Backes saw one streak end on Wednesday night and on Thursday, he’ll begin another.
Backes, who had his streak of 274 consecutive appearances snapped against San Jose last night, will miss his second straight game on Thursday when the Blues take on Montreal.
The St. Louis captain has been sidelined since colliding with Sens forward Colin Greening during a 3-2 OT loss on Monday. The injury occurred when it appeared Greening’s helmet made contact with Backes’ head, forcing him from the contest while looking wobbly on his skates.
Today, Blues head coach Ken Hitchcock would only say that Backes is out, noting that he hasn’t been cleared to do anything.
The loss is a big one for St. Louis as Backes has been playing remarkably well this season. Prior to getting hurt, he was on pace for career highs in goals and points and was flying on a line with Alexander Steen and T.J. Oshie.
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 4
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 2
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 17
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 33
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 15
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 15
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 2
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 11
- Video: Tempers boil over between Capitals, Penguins 46