Dec 18, 2013, 2:09 PM EDT
David Backes saw one streak end on Wednesday night and on Thursday, he’ll begin another.
Backes, who had his streak of 274 consecutive appearances snapped against San Jose last night, will miss his second straight game on Thursday when the Blues take on Montreal.
The St. Louis captain has been sidelined since colliding with Sens forward Colin Greening during a 3-2 OT loss on Monday. The injury occurred when it appeared Greening’s helmet made contact with Backes’ head, forcing him from the contest while looking wobbly on his skates.
Today, Blues head coach Ken Hitchcock would only say that Backes is out, noting that he hasn’t been cleared to do anything.
The loss is a big one for St. Louis as Backes has been playing remarkably well this season. Prior to getting hurt, he was on pace for career highs in goals and points and was flying on a line with Alexander Steen and T.J. Oshie.
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 0
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 17
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 25
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 19
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 19
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 31
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)