Dec 18, 2013, 2:09 PM EDT
David Backes saw one streak end on Wednesday night and on Thursday, he’ll begin another.
Backes, who had his streak of 274 consecutive appearances snapped against San Jose last night, will miss his second straight game on Thursday when the Blues take on Montreal.
The St. Louis captain has been sidelined since colliding with Sens forward Colin Greening during a 3-2 OT loss on Monday. The injury occurred when it appeared Greening’s helmet made contact with Backes’ head, forcing him from the contest while looking wobbly on his skates.
Today, Blues head coach Ken Hitchcock would only say that Backes is out, noting that he hasn’t been cleared to do anything.
The loss is a big one for St. Louis as Backes has been playing remarkably well this season. Prior to getting hurt, he was on pace for career highs in goals and points and was flying on a line with Alexander Steen and T.J. Oshie.
- In praise of John Tavares 5
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 18
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 13
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 38
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 54
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother (Updated) 31