Dec 18, 2013, 2:09 PM EDT
David Backes saw one streak end on Wednesday night and on Thursday, he’ll begin another.
Backes, who had his streak of 274 consecutive appearances snapped against San Jose last night, will miss his second straight game on Thursday when the Blues take on Montreal.
The St. Louis captain has been sidelined since colliding with Sens forward Colin Greening during a 3-2 OT loss on Monday. The injury occurred when it appeared Greening’s helmet made contact with Backes’ head, forcing him from the contest while looking wobbly on his skates.
Today, Blues head coach Ken Hitchcock would only say that Backes is out, noting that he hasn’t been cleared to do anything.
The loss is a big one for St. Louis as Backes has been playing remarkably well this season. Prior to getting hurt, he was on pace for career highs in goals and points and was flying on a line with Alexander Steen and T.J. Oshie.
- Discuss: Habs overcome three-goal deficit, beat Senators in overtime 12
- Canucks ready to face Luongo on Sunday 2
- West update: Stars blow lead yet still improve hold on wild card spot 4
- East update: Red Wings eke out shootout win for key points 0
- Luongo continues to foil Schneider as Panthers damage Devils’ playoff hopes 3
- TGIF: In which we salivate over potential playoff matchups 10
- Backstrom to receive silver medal, IOC says Sweden doctor ‘made a serious error’ 29
- Pens lose Neal to concussion 61
- Here are the top 10 and bottom 10 goalies in even-strength save percentage 22
- Weekend preview: Flyers-Pens rivalry renewed, Bruins look to stay hot 13
- Here are three ‘major changes’ the NHL should consider (98)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (74)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (62)
- Pens lose Neal to concussion (61)
- Video: Dryden on why hockey should ‘give up the fighting, but keep the fight’ (57)