Dec 17, 2013, 8:47 PM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings have been left shorthanded thanks largely to injuries, but Kyle Quincey opened the door to a possible suspension thanks to a hit from behind on Anaheim Ducks star Ryan Getzlaf on Tuesday.
Quincey received a five-minute major and game misconduct for boarding on this play:
The early word is that Getzlaf, 28, might shake this off. He was able to return after getting stitched up, the OC Register’s Eric Stephens reports.
Still, Getzlaf already fought off an upper-body injury this season, so there’s some concern even with a rapid return.
Quincey was suspended one game in April 2012, so that might not help the 28-year-old’s cause in avoiding a suspension. Getzlaf’s return might help, on the other hand.
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 0
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 1
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 8
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 17
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 22
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 33
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)