Dec 17, 2013, 8:47 PM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings have been left shorthanded thanks largely to injuries, but Kyle Quincey opened the door to a possible suspension thanks to a hit from behind on Anaheim Ducks star Ryan Getzlaf on Tuesday.
Quincey received a five-minute major and game misconduct for boarding on this play:
The early word is that Getzlaf, 28, might shake this off. He was able to return after getting stitched up, the OC Register’s Eric Stephens reports.
Still, Getzlaf already fought off an upper-body injury this season, so there’s some concern even with a rapid return.
Quincey was suspended one game in April 2012, so that might not help the 28-year-old’s cause in avoiding a suspension. Getzlaf’s return might help, on the other hand.
- It’s Ottawa Senators day on PHT 5
- Report: Leiweke to head up Olympic bid in Los Angeles 11
- In praise of John Tavares 14
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 26
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 19
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 39
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 55