Dec 17, 2013, 8:47 PM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings have been left shorthanded thanks largely to injuries, but Kyle Quincey opened the door to a possible suspension thanks to a hit from behind on Anaheim Ducks star Ryan Getzlaf on Tuesday.
Quincey received a five-minute major and game misconduct for boarding on this play:
The early word is that Getzlaf, 28, might shake this off. He was able to return after getting stitched up, the OC Register’s Eric Stephens reports.
Still, Getzlaf already fought off an upper-body injury this season, so there’s some concern even with a rapid return.
Quincey was suspended one game in April 2012, so that might not help the 28-year-old’s cause in avoiding a suspension. Getzlaf’s return might help, on the other hand.
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 7
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 22
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 7
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 13
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 47
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 21
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 9
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22