Dec 17, 2013, 12:56 PM EDT
While Brent Seabrook‘s career has been plenty decorated — Olympic gold, two Stanley Cups — the Chicago defenseman feels a big individual award could be in his future: The Norris Trophy.
“I feel like I can reach that point, but that’s for [the media] to decide,” Seabrook told the Chicago Tribune about being a candidate for the Norris, given annually to the league’s best defenseman.
“I’m just playing the game and trying to help the Blackhawks win.”
The 28-year-old is in the midst of a stellar campaign, racking up 23 points through 36 games — putting him on pace for a career-high 52 points. He sits fifth among NHL defensemen in scoring and is tied for first with a plus-18 rating, leading the Blackhawks in hits (90) while sitting second in blocked shots (61).
Great numbers to be sure, but there’s one big hurdle standing in the way of Seabrook’s potential Norris candidacy — his frequent defensive partner, Duncan Keith.
Keith is among the NHL’s elite blueliners, having captured the Norris in 2009-10 and finishing sixth in voting last season. This year, the 30-year-old is having another banner campaign, leading all NHL defensemen in assists (with 28) while ranking second in points, with 30, trailing leader Erik Karlsson by just one heading into Tuesday’s action.
Keith has high praise for Seabrook, explaining that, at least within the confines of Chicago’s room, No. 7 is recognized as a key cog to the team’s success.
“I know in the dressing room he gets the credit,” Keith said. “I don’t really know what gets said outside our room a whole lot, but he’s always been one of the key members of this team with winning two Stanley Cups.”
May 22, 2015, 1:30 AM EDT
Ducks trying to make life miserable for Chicago’s goalie.
May 22, 2015, 1:00 AM EDT
Game 4 goes Saturday in Chicago.
May 22, 2015, 12:12 AM EDT
So, what will the coach do for Game 4?
May 21, 2015, 11:17 PM EDT
Chicago’s power play came up empty.
May 21, 2015, 10:36 PM EDT
Talk about timing.
May 21, 2015, 10:26 PM EDT
Quite a sequence.
May 21, 2015, 9:15 PM EDT
‘Showtime’ strikes late in the period.
May 21, 2015, 8:05 PM EDT
Coach Q, shaking it up.
May 21, 2015, 7:49 PM EDT
Pittsburgh GM won’t stand in the way.
May 21, 2015, 6:58 PM EDT
Hit knocked the veteran d-man out of Game 3.
May 21, 2015, 6:10 PM EDT
“To have a guy of his ilk, considered one of the best coaches in the National Hockey League, taking a real good hard look at us in Buffalo after a 30th-place finish — I thought the process was great.”
May 21, 2015, 5:26 PM EDT
Two-way contract for Karpat’s playoff scoring sensation.
May 21, 2015, 5:15 PM EDT
A wide range of topics.
May 21, 2015, 4:15 PM EDT
“It’s something that we’re working on everyday. We’re trying to do it behind closed doors and away from public scrutiny.”
May 21, 2015, 4:02 PM EDT
“Word choice matters, even when attempting to be humorous.”
May 21, 2015, 2:58 PM EDT
Recently represented the United States at the worlds.
May 21, 2015, 2:44 PM EDT
As many as six new head coaches could still be named.
May 21, 2015, 1:54 PM EDT
Coaches be getting paid.
May 21, 2015, 1:46 PM EDT
Some have wondered if he could replace goal-less Bryan Bickell.
May 21, 2015, 12:43 PM EDT
“We need to create a safe environment for the players.”
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 2
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 15
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 35
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 44
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy 172
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)