Dec 17, 2013, 12:56 PM EDT
While Brent Seabrook‘s career has been plenty decorated — Olympic gold, two Stanley Cups — the Chicago defenseman feels a big individual award could be in his future: The Norris Trophy.
“I feel like I can reach that point, but that’s for [the media] to decide,” Seabrook told the Chicago Tribune about being a candidate for the Norris, given annually to the league’s best defenseman.
“I’m just playing the game and trying to help the Blackhawks win.”
The 28-year-old is in the midst of a stellar campaign, racking up 23 points through 36 games — putting him on pace for a career-high 52 points. He sits fifth among NHL defensemen in scoring and is tied for first with a plus-18 rating, leading the Blackhawks in hits (90) while sitting second in blocked shots (61).
Great numbers to be sure, but there’s one big hurdle standing in the way of Seabrook’s potential Norris candidacy — his frequent defensive partner, Duncan Keith.
Keith is among the NHL’s elite blueliners, having captured the Norris in 2009-10 and finishing sixth in voting last season. This year, the 30-year-old is having another banner campaign, leading all NHL defensemen in assists (with 28) while ranking second in points, with 30, trailing leader Erik Karlsson by just one heading into Tuesday’s action.
Keith has high praise for Seabrook, explaining that, at least within the confines of Chicago’s room, No. 7 is recognized as a key cog to the team’s success.
“I know in the dressing room he gets the credit,” Keith said. “I don’t really know what gets said outside our room a whole lot, but he’s always been one of the key members of this team with winning two Stanley Cups.”
Mar 11, 2014, 8:33 PM EDT
The 20-year-old had been missing since March 3.
Mar 11, 2014, 7:49 PM EDT
On the bright side, there’s the Batmobile.
Mar 11, 2014, 7:19 PM EDT
The Pens have won seven in a row vs. Washington, including Monday.
Mar 11, 2014, 5:33 PM EDT
Because there’s a really good chance they will.
Mar 11, 2014, 4:56 PM EDT
Big development for the ‘Hawks.
Mar 11, 2014, 4:47 PM EDT
Click for the details.
Mar 11, 2014, 4:26 PM EDT
All the latest from the blue paint…
Mar 11, 2014, 3:54 PM EDT
“We played well in the first game, but then it all disappeared.”
Mar 11, 2014, 3:49 PM EDT
The sons of George and Brian, respectively.
Mar 11, 2014, 2:49 PM EDT
Whether he does or not will impact the Flyers’ roster.
Mar 11, 2014, 2:41 PM EDT
A big defenseman from Lake Superior State.
Mar 11, 2014, 2:18 PM EDT
Burly power forward’s in the midst of a disappointing season.
Mar 11, 2014, 1:51 PM EDT
“It’s great to have him around,” said Wild head coach Mike Yeo.
Mar 11, 2014, 12:47 PM EDT
Dallas GM Jim Nill also released a statement.
Mar 11, 2014, 12:38 PM EDT
“We need to take this one, especially if there’s a four-point swing,” says d-man Brendan Smith.
Mar 11, 2014, 12:25 PM EDT
Rough season for him, to say the least.
Mar 11, 2014, 12:12 PM EDT
Suffered third straight loss on Monday night vs. Toronto.
Mar 11, 2014, 12:07 PM EDT
“The fans won’t have it. The players won’t have it. And even if you hire a new GM, there is no way he’ll have it.”
Mar 11, 2014, 10:52 AM EDT
He thinks the Panthers have a shot at winning the Stanley Cup before he retires.
Mar 11, 2014, 10:02 AM EDT
The Calgary Flames were already missing several forwards.
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 0
- WATCH LIVE: Washington Capitals at Pittsburgh Penguins 1
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 13
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 53
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (67)
- Flyers’ Luke Schenn on first-period brawl: ‘That’s the way it goes’ (57)