Dec 17, 2013, 1:08 PM EST
A couple of weeks ago, right about the time the Toronto Maple Leafs were preparing for a tough stretch of contests against some of the NHL’s elite, the Florida Panthers’ visit to the ACC on Dec. 17 probably looked like a respite of sorts.
After all, the Panthers entered December with a 7-15-5 record and had recently fired their coach, Kevin Dineen. They were also the worst team in the league last season.
Today, though, the Panthers don’t look like such an easy mark. With five wins in their last six tries, they’ve found some traction under new coach Peter Horachek.
On Sunday, Florida went into Montreal and won 2-1, with the Canadiens only managing 18 shots against goalie Scott Clemmensen.
“Our guys were diving in front of shots, putting sticks out there to deflect passes,” said Clemmensen, per the Miami Herald. “I tip my hat to the guys in front of me. When you don’t have to make a save, it makes things a lot easier.”
Per Extra Skater, here’s how the Panthers are trending in terms of their possession stats:
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 0
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 48
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 24
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)