Dec 17, 2013, 9:57 AM EDT
Anderson was stunning last season, but he’s been inconsistent in 2013-14 while Lehner has been flourishing. The Senators have had high hopes for Lehner for quite some time and with the team looking to climb above their mediocre start, it might be time to put their support fully behind the 22-year-old netminder.
That’s not how Lehner sees it though.
“This year, I’m the backup, I’ve said that a bunch of times,” Lehner told the Ottawa Citizen. “I’ve played a bunch of games, but it’s been weird circumstances – to go take over, because it’s not that time yet.”
People have suggested to him that he’s ready to compete with Anderson for the starting job, but he doesn’t feel it’s his time yet.
It helps the team that he’s actively fighting against the developing goaltending controversy. It’s also particularly noteworthy given that he’s scheduled to become a restricted free agent for the first time this summer, so he wouldn’t have to wait long to see the financial rewards if he did win the starting job in the weeks to come.
Either way, he remains on course to eventually become Ottawa’s number one netminder. Anderson, 32, is signed through 2014-15 and after that, this could be Lehner’s team.
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 3
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 19
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 16
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 57
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (69)
- Flyers’ Luke Schenn on first-period brawl: ‘That’s the way it goes’ (57)