Dec 17, 2013, 9:57 AM EST
Anderson was stunning last season, but he’s been inconsistent in 2013-14 while Lehner has been flourishing. The Senators have had high hopes for Lehner for quite some time and with the team looking to climb above their mediocre start, it might be time to put their support fully behind the 22-year-old netminder.
That’s not how Lehner sees it though.
“This year, I’m the backup, I’ve said that a bunch of times,” Lehner told the Ottawa Citizen. “I’ve played a bunch of games, but it’s been weird circumstances – to go take over, because it’s not that time yet.”
People have suggested to him that he’s ready to compete with Anderson for the starting job, but he doesn’t feel it’s his time yet.
It helps the team that he’s actively fighting against the developing goaltending controversy. It’s also particularly noteworthy given that he’s scheduled to become a restricted free agent for the first time this summer, so he wouldn’t have to wait long to see the financial rewards if he did win the starting job in the weeks to come.
Either way, he remains on course to eventually become Ottawa’s number one netminder. Anderson, 32, is signed through 2014-15 and after that, this could be Lehner’s team.
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 2
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 10
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 10
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 18
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)