Dec 17, 2013, 12:48 AM EDT
Less than a full week after taking a hard hit into the boards from Frazer McLaren of the Toronto Maple Leafs and going through the concussion protocol, Colin Fraser was back skating with his L.A. Kings’ teammates on Monday.
After that game last Wednesday, Kings’ head coach Darryl Sutter’s update on Fraser was that he had gotten his “bell rung,” which was an interesting assessment given the seriousness and long-lasting affects of concussions not just in hockey, but professional and amateur sports.
Fraser missed two games as a result of his injury, and had to go through some extensive testing before he was able to return to the ice, as per an article in the L.A. Times.
“They give you 15 words or whatever and then you repeat back as many as you remember, like three times,” Fraser told the L.A. Times.
“Shapes, memory and you’ve got to draw them. That was the written stuff. Then there’s a computer test, which is the same concepts but now it’s on the computer. … They do it (as a base line) and every couple of years you’ve got to update it and they compare the results to see how you’re doing.
“I’ve never had a concussion … some guys are unlucky and some guys are lucky. There’s no rhyme or reason to it.”
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)