Dec 17, 2013, 12:48 AM EDT
Less than a full week after taking a hard hit into the boards from Frazer McLaren of the Toronto Maple Leafs and going through the concussion protocol, Colin Fraser was back skating with his L.A. Kings’ teammates on Monday.
After that game last Wednesday, Kings’ head coach Darryl Sutter’s update on Fraser was that he had gotten his “bell rung,” which was an interesting assessment given the seriousness and long-lasting affects of concussions not just in hockey, but professional and amateur sports.
Fraser missed two games as a result of his injury, and had to go through some extensive testing before he was able to return to the ice, as per an article in the L.A. Times.
“They give you 15 words or whatever and then you repeat back as many as you remember, like three times,” Fraser told the L.A. Times.
“Shapes, memory and you’ve got to draw them. That was the written stuff. Then there’s a computer test, which is the same concepts but now it’s on the computer. … They do it (as a base line) and every couple of years you’ve got to update it and they compare the results to see how you’re doing.
“I’ve never had a concussion … some guys are unlucky and some guys are lucky. There’s no rhyme or reason to it.”
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 20
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)