Dec 17, 2013, 12:48 AM EDT
Less than a full week after taking a hard hit into the boards from Frazer McLaren of the Toronto Maple Leafs and going through the concussion protocol, Colin Fraser was back skating with his L.A. Kings’ teammates on Monday.
After that game last Wednesday, Kings’ head coach Darryl Sutter’s update on Fraser was that he had gotten his “bell rung,” which was an interesting assessment given the seriousness and long-lasting affects of concussions not just in hockey, but professional and amateur sports.
Fraser missed two games as a result of his injury, and had to go through some extensive testing before he was able to return to the ice, as per an article in the L.A. Times.
“They give you 15 words or whatever and then you repeat back as many as you remember, like three times,” Fraser told the L.A. Times.
“Shapes, memory and you’ve got to draw them. That was the written stuff. Then there’s a computer test, which is the same concepts but now it’s on the computer. … They do it (as a base line) and every couple of years you’ve got to update it and they compare the results to see how you’re doing.
“I’ve never had a concussion … some guys are unlucky and some guys are lucky. There’s no rhyme or reason to it.”
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 29
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 114
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (114)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (39)