It’s not cable: Panthers remain HBO-friendly, beat Leafs

Dec 17, 2013, 10:03 PM EDT

When a team makes a breakthrough, people will occasionally say that a squad is “ready for primetime.” As it turns out, the Florida Panthers might just be too hot for basic cable.

The Panthers beat the Toronto Maple Leafs 3-1 on Tuesday, helping them generate a truly unusual run of great play while HBO’s cameras have been around filming 24/7. The team’s Twitter feed made the most of such successes:

Nicely done.

The Panthers are now on a four-game winning streak and have won six of their last seven games, so teams should take them seriously going forward.

The mood wasn’t very jokey in the Maple Leafs locker room, as Mason Raymond and head coach Randy Carlyle told the Canadian Press’ Stephen Whyno.

“We simply got embarrassed,” Raymond said.

“We tried to play shinny against an NHL hockey club,” Carlyle said.

It will be a while before Trevor Smith can help Toronto shake out of its stupor, as Carlyle told Whyno that he broke a bone in his hand.

1. vbcaps - Dec 17, 2013 at 10:10 PM

Good for Florida

• kaptaanamerica - Dec 17, 2013 at 11:54 PM

I was hoping the Panthers would respond to the new coach and ownership. Putting the arrogant Leafs and their idiot fans in place is icing on the cake. People in Toronto are always going on about how the Panthers should be moved.I’m glad the Panthers laid a spanking on the Toronto team.

• imleftcoast - Dec 18, 2013 at 1:34 PM

Said the 29 fans in the crowd. Move them to Seattle.

2. peterjohnjoseph - Dec 17, 2013 at 10:26 PM

I called this the other day when I did the math for what it would take for Florida to get into wildcard contention. Like I said then, once they’re in the playoffs, I’m rooting for them to get crushed, but for now, I love it. I had no idea when I said they would have to win out between now and this game, and then win this game, that they would actually do it.

• Taylor Craig - Dec 17, 2013 at 11:41 PM

Our biggest game for wild card contention comes in Ottawa. We can get within 1 point if they lose tomorrow.

3. hubeydubeydoo11 - Dec 18, 2013 at 1:22 AM

I love watching the NHL Network after each of these last 6 wins my panthers have had. Each time they come up with some excuse for the other team losing to the panthers. They were to tired they had to many Injuries (would turn out it would be like two third line guys) or it wasnt their starting goaltenders (look at our net…we have Clemmy) They dont get enough credit from the NHL when they Just OUTPLAY the other team. We are the Comeback Catz!!!

Top 10 NHL Player Searches