Dec 17, 2013, 3:09 PM EDT
Columbus received more bad news on the injury front Tuesday, as the club announced forward Jared Boll would miss the next 3-4 months recovering from surgery to fix a torn ankle tendon.
“Our initial hope was that Jared would be able to return to the lineup with rest and rehabilitation, but it became apparent over the past few days that surgery was the best course of action,” Columbus GM Jarmo Kekalainen said in a statement. “We’re disappointed for Jared as he has worked very hard and is an important part of our team, but we expect him to make a full recovery and hopefully return to the lineup later this season.”
Boll, 27, has played in 21 games this year after missing time with upper-body and foot injuries. The club’s resident tough guy has spent his entire six-year career with the Jackets and entered this season sitting fourth on the franchise’s all-time games played list (388).
In September, the Jackets re-signed Boll to a three-year, $5.1 million deal.
As mentioned above, this is just the latest injury to hit the Jackets. The club already has Sergei Bobrovsky, Marian Gaborik, James Wisniewski and Nathan Horton on injured reserve, and lost the services of Dalton Prout and Derek MacKenzie during Monday’s loss to Winnipeg.
- Devils ink Schneider to reported seven-year, $42 million deal 34
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions 153
- Jets can’t let Kane situation fester much longer 49
- Report: Sidney Crosby will undergo wrist surgery 57
- Kane: ‘I’m a Winnipeg Jet right now… we’ll see what happens’ 50
- McDavid, Eichel top Central Scouting Futures list 14
- Columnist: Mike Green is ‘destined to be traded’ by Caps 40
- Spezza: ‘I’m just a piece to the puzzle’ in Dallas 32
- Ovechkin ‘upset’ at Grabovski departure, happy with defensive signings 18
- Washington Capitals were free agency’s biggest spenders 15
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions (153)
- Pros and cons of Subban filing for arbitration (67)
- Giroux apologizes, calls actions a ‘misguided attempt at humor’ (64)
- Boyle wanted Big Apple after playing in ‘nontraditional hockey markets’ of Florida, California (63)
- Report: Sidney Crosby will undergo wrist surgery (57)