Dec 17, 2013, 3:09 PM EDT
Columbus received more bad news on the injury front Tuesday, as the club announced forward Jared Boll would miss the next 3-4 months recovering from surgery to fix a torn ankle tendon.
“Our initial hope was that Jared would be able to return to the lineup with rest and rehabilitation, but it became apparent over the past few days that surgery was the best course of action,” Columbus GM Jarmo Kekalainen said in a statement. “We’re disappointed for Jared as he has worked very hard and is an important part of our team, but we expect him to make a full recovery and hopefully return to the lineup later this season.”
Boll, 27, has played in 21 games this year after missing time with upper-body and foot injuries. The club’s resident tough guy has spent his entire six-year career with the Jackets and entered this season sitting fourth on the franchise’s all-time games played list (388).
In September, the Jackets re-signed Boll to a three-year, $5.1 million deal.
As mentioned above, this is just the latest injury to hit the Jackets. The club already has Sergei Bobrovsky, Marian Gaborik, James Wisniewski and Nathan Horton on injured reserve, and lost the services of Dalton Prout and Derek MacKenzie during Monday’s loss to Winnipeg.
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 0
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 1
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 32
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)