Dec 17, 2013, 3:27 PM EDT
News and notes from around the crease…
Bryzgalov goes again
Ilya Bryzgalov will get his second start coming off an injury when he takes on the Kings in Los Angeles tonight.
Bryzgalov, 33, returned to action on Sunday against Anaheim and stopped 31 of 34 shots in a 3-2 loss. The Russian netminder had been sidelined after getting bowled over against Dallas on Dec. 1.
Bryzgalov has very good numbers on the year — a 2.35 GAA and .932 save percentage — but is still looking for a few more wins, as has he has just one (a 3-0 victory over Nashville) thus far.
Martin Jones, the NHL’s reigning third star of the week, will get the nod for L.A.
Luongo starts at Xcel
History to be damned, says Canucks head coach John Tortorella. Roberto Luongo is starting tonight in Minnesota.
For more, here’s Mike Russo of the Star-Tribune:
Luongo gets the start for the Canuckleheads. He is 3-9-2 with a 3.56 goals-against average and .873 save percentage at the X, and that includes a 0-0 tie in his first-ever start at the X with Florida in 2000. Luongo has been pulled in his past three starts here and has just had such struggles here that former Van. coach Alain Vigneault didn’t play him in Minnesota since Oct. 19, 2010. Luongo joked yesterday to ask AV if he was playing.
“He’s going to exorcise that demon, I guess, if that’s what everybody thinks this is,” Canucks coach John Tortorella said. “He’s a pro. He needs to play.”
Josh Harding will start for the Wild.
Coyotes at Canadiens: Carey Price in for Habs. No word yet on who Phoenix will start.
Avs at Stars: Jean-Sebastien Giguere will go for Colorado. No word on a Dallas starter yet.
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 33
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 11
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 17
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 47
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 17
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 6
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ (49)