Dec 17, 2013, 3:27 PM EDT
News and notes from around the crease…
Bryzgalov goes again
Ilya Bryzgalov will get his second start coming off an injury when he takes on the Kings in Los Angeles tonight.
Bryzgalov, 33, returned to action on Sunday against Anaheim and stopped 31 of 34 shots in a 3-2 loss. The Russian netminder had been sidelined after getting bowled over against Dallas on Dec. 1.
Bryzgalov has very good numbers on the year — a 2.35 GAA and .932 save percentage — but is still looking for a few more wins, as has he has just one (a 3-0 victory over Nashville) thus far.
Martin Jones, the NHL’s reigning third star of the week, will get the nod for L.A.
Luongo starts at Xcel
History to be damned, says Canucks head coach John Tortorella. Roberto Luongo is starting tonight in Minnesota.
For more, here’s Mike Russo of the Star-Tribune:
Luongo gets the start for the Canuckleheads. He is 3-9-2 with a 3.56 goals-against average and .873 save percentage at the X, and that includes a 0-0 tie in his first-ever start at the X with Florida in 2000. Luongo has been pulled in his past three starts here and has just had such struggles here that former Van. coach Alain Vigneault didn’t play him in Minnesota since Oct. 19, 2010. Luongo joked yesterday to ask AV if he was playing.
“He’s going to exorcise that demon, I guess, if that’s what everybody thinks this is,” Canucks coach John Tortorella said. “He’s a pro. He needs to play.”
Josh Harding will start for the Wild.
Coyotes at Canadiens: Carey Price in for Habs. No word yet on who Phoenix will start.
Avs at Stars: Jean-Sebastien Giguere will go for Colorado. No word on a Dallas starter yet.
- FYI: Hartnell and Voracek have black beards now 24
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh 80
- Oshie and Berglund out, Tarasenko in for Blues tonight vs. ‘Hawks 8
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 11
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 62
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 36