Dec 17, 2013, 10:39 PM EDT
When you haven’t won a game in regulation for 16 games, it might be tough to pick out the losses that sting the most. Still, Tuesday’s defeat has to rank high for the floundering New York Islanders.
Frans Nielsen gave the Isles a 2-0 lead midway through the third period, yet things slipped away late in the game. Valtteri Filppula scored two goals – one with about three minutes left, the tying tally with a brutal four seconds remaining – to send the game to OT. The Islanders eventually fell short 3-2 in the shootout, prompting Evgeni Nabokov to provide New York Newsday’s Arthur Staple with this dour quote.
“We don’t know how to win the games right now,” Nabokov said. “All our efforts [go] down the toilet.”
Here’s video of that late goal:
The Islanders only have one win in December (3-2 in shootout on Dec. 10) and just five wins overall since November rolled around. At this point, one might need to grasp at straws (two straight games with a standings point!) to find positives.
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 1
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 24
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 40
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)