Dec 17, 2013, 10:39 PM EDT
When you haven’t won a game in regulation for 16 games, it might be tough to pick out the losses that sting the most. Still, Tuesday’s defeat has to rank high for the floundering New York Islanders.
Frans Nielsen gave the Isles a 2-0 lead midway through the third period, yet things slipped away late in the game. Valtteri Filppula scored two goals – one with about three minutes left, the tying tally with a brutal four seconds remaining – to send the game to OT. The Islanders eventually fell short 3-2 in the shootout, prompting Evgeni Nabokov to provide New York Newsday’s Arthur Staple with this dour quote.
“We don’t know how to win the games right now,” Nabokov said. “All our efforts [go] down the toilet.”
Here’s video of that late goal:
The Islanders only have one win in December (3-2 in shootout on Dec. 10) and just five wins overall since November rolled around. At this point, one might need to grasp at straws (two straight games with a standings point!) to find positives.
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues 75
- Blackhawks extend TVR through 2017-18 3
- Good start: McDavid scores five in Oilers scrimmage 33
- Caps ink Kuznetsov to two-year, $6 million extension 9
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 15
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 37
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 15
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Expansion process underway as NHL sends out applications (94)
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues (75)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)