Dec 17, 2013, 12:26 PM EDT
Anaheim faces Detroit tonight for the first time since its Game 7 elimination in last year’s playoffs and, to hear defenseman Ben Lovejoy explain it, the Ducks wants little revenge.
“Still burns,” Lovejoy said, as per the OC Register. “We were a good team last year. We were a proud team. Proud group of guys.
“We want to win because we would like to do everything we can, any chance we get, to get back at them.”
While others on the team — Corey Perry and Dustin Penner, most notably — have refrained from attaching additional meaning to tonight’s game, it’s obviously last year’s opening-round loss still lingers with the Ducks. The team has taken to wearing “Unfinished Business” shirts in the dressing room and, following their elimination, spoke at length about missing an opportunity after leading Detroit in the series, 3-2.
“We have a lot of respect for the Red Wings as a team,” Lovejoy continued. “They’ve been the class of the NHL for the last 20 years. But we felt that we had a better season than them last year. Everybody in this room is still fired up after we lost.”
The Ducks are being presented with a prime chance for revenge tonight. Detroit comes into Tuesday’s contest on the limp — Henrik Zetterberg, Stephen Weiss, Jimmy Howard, Darren Helm and Danny DeKeyser are all on IR, while Johan Franzen and Gustav Nyquist will sit out as both are undergoing concussion protocol.
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 5
- Five big games to watch this weekend 6
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 33
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 14
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 55
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (55)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)