Dec 17, 2013, 5:47 PM EST
Will veteran winger Lee Stempniak be a healthy scratch for the Calgary Flames tonight in Boston?
The answer this morning appeared to be yes. And even if he finds a way into the lineup versus the Bruins, he certainly seems to have run afoul of head coach Bob Hartley.
Per Wes Gilbertson of the Calgary Sun, here’s what Hartley had to say when asked about Stempniak:
“It’s the same rule for everyone. We’ve said it all along that, while it is a rebuild, it’s important for us to set a very clear message on the culture that we want to instil over here. It’s all about hard work, and it goes to everyone. I think that I’ve been real clear with everyone on the team — whether you’re a rookie, whether you’re a call-up, whether you’re a veteran, the entitlement is over in Calgary. You need to prove yourself on a day-to-day basis, and I believe that’s how we’re going to fast-forward our rebuild.”
Stempniak (6G, 7A) was a minus-3 in Sunday’s 4-3 shootout loss at MSG. The 30-year-old has been held pointless in his last four games.
He’s also a pending unrestricted free agent with a cap hit of $2.5 million.
But is he big and truculent?
He is not often described that way, no.
Related: Burke sends Baertschi to AHL
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 8
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 1
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 1
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 9
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 2
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 5
- Devils fire DeBoer 21
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 7
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 21
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)