Dec 17, 2013, 5:47 PM EDT
Will veteran winger Lee Stempniak be a healthy scratch for the Calgary Flames tonight in Boston?
The answer this morning appeared to be yes. And even if he finds a way into the lineup versus the Bruins, he certainly seems to have run afoul of head coach Bob Hartley.
Per Wes Gilbertson of the Calgary Sun, here’s what Hartley had to say when asked about Stempniak:
“It’s the same rule for everyone. We’ve said it all along that, while it is a rebuild, it’s important for us to set a very clear message on the culture that we want to instil over here. It’s all about hard work, and it goes to everyone. I think that I’ve been real clear with everyone on the team — whether you’re a rookie, whether you’re a call-up, whether you’re a veteran, the entitlement is over in Calgary. You need to prove yourself on a day-to-day basis, and I believe that’s how we’re going to fast-forward our rebuild.”
Stempniak (6G, 7A) was a minus-3 in Sunday’s 4-3 shootout loss at MSG. The 30-year-old has been held pointless in his last four games.
He’s also a pending unrestricted free agent with a cap hit of $2.5 million.
But is he big and truculent?
He is not often described that way, no.
Related: Burke sends Baertschi to AHL
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 0
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 0
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 12
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 14
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 10
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 11
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 32
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 66
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)