Dec 17, 2013, 1:15 AM EDT
The Columbus Blue Jackets lost to the Winnipeg Jets by one goal Monday night.
In what may very well have been the difference between earning at least a single point on the evening and nothing at all, the Blue Jackets had a goal called off in the first period for what referee Tim Peel ruled as incidental contact between Columbus forward Matt Calvert and Winnipeg goalie Al Montoya.
The Blue Jackets lost the game 3-2, as the teams combined for four goals in the third period.
In an online explanation at the Situation Room blog, the NHL stated: “At 19:14 of the first period in the Jets/Blue Jackets game, the Situation Room initiated a video review because the puck entered the Winnipeg net. The referee informed the Situation Room that Columbus forward Matt Calvert made incidental contact with goalie Al Montoya, preventing Montoya from doing his job in the crease. This is not a reviewable play therefore the referee’s call on the ice stands – no penalty, no goal Columbus.”
“I didn’t see goaltender interference on the play, but that was the call,” Blue Jackets coach Todd Richards told the Columbus Dispatch. “I was disappointed with the call, but it was one play of many, many in the game.”
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 4
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Report: Dal Colle signs with Islanders (Updated) 1
- Bridge built: Blues lock up Schwartz to two-year deal reportedly worth $4.7M 12
- Comedian Will Arnett at Leafs practice 8
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys (28)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)