Dec 17, 2013, 1:15 AM EST
The Columbus Blue Jackets lost to the Winnipeg Jets by one goal Monday night.
In what may very well have been the difference between earning at least a single point on the evening and nothing at all, the Blue Jackets had a goal called off in the first period for what referee Tim Peel ruled as incidental contact between Columbus forward Matt Calvert and Winnipeg goalie Al Montoya.
The Blue Jackets lost the game 3-2, as the teams combined for four goals in the third period.
In an online explanation at the Situation Room blog, the NHL stated: “At 19:14 of the first period in the Jets/Blue Jackets game, the Situation Room initiated a video review because the puck entered the Winnipeg net. The referee informed the Situation Room that Columbus forward Matt Calvert made incidental contact with goalie Al Montoya, preventing Montoya from doing his job in the crease. This is not a reviewable play therefore the referee’s call on the ice stands – no penalty, no goal Columbus.”
“I didn’t see goaltender interference on the play, but that was the call,” Blue Jackets coach Todd Richards told the Columbus Dispatch. “I was disappointed with the call, but it was one play of many, many in the game.”
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 15
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 3
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 24
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 38
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 12
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 63
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 45
- Trade: Montreal acquires Petry from Edmonton for two draft picks 21
- Bruins acquire Connolly from the Lightning for draft picks (Confirmed) 32
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 69
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (162)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)