Dec 17, 2013, 1:15 AM EDT
The Columbus Blue Jackets lost to the Winnipeg Jets by one goal Monday night.
In what may very well have been the difference between earning at least a single point on the evening and nothing at all, the Blue Jackets had a goal called off in the first period for what referee Tim Peel ruled as incidental contact between Columbus forward Matt Calvert and Winnipeg goalie Al Montoya.
The Blue Jackets lost the game 3-2, as the teams combined for four goals in the third period.
In an online explanation at the Situation Room blog, the NHL stated: “At 19:14 of the first period in the Jets/Blue Jackets game, the Situation Room initiated a video review because the puck entered the Winnipeg net. The referee informed the Situation Room that Columbus forward Matt Calvert made incidental contact with goalie Al Montoya, preventing Montoya from doing his job in the crease. This is not a reviewable play therefore the referee’s call on the ice stands – no penalty, no goal Columbus.”
“I didn’t see goaltender interference on the play, but that was the call,” Blue Jackets coach Todd Richards told the Columbus Dispatch. “I was disappointed with the call, but it was one play of many, many in the game.”
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 11
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 56
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (62)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)