Dec 17, 2013, 1:15 AM EDT
The Columbus Blue Jackets lost to the Winnipeg Jets by one goal Monday night.
In what may very well have been the difference between earning at least a single point on the evening and nothing at all, the Blue Jackets had a goal called off in the first period for what referee Tim Peel ruled as incidental contact between Columbus forward Matt Calvert and Winnipeg goalie Al Montoya.
The Blue Jackets lost the game 3-2, as the teams combined for four goals in the third period.
In an online explanation at the Situation Room blog, the NHL stated: “At 19:14 of the first period in the Jets/Blue Jackets game, the Situation Room initiated a video review because the puck entered the Winnipeg net. The referee informed the Situation Room that Columbus forward Matt Calvert made incidental contact with goalie Al Montoya, preventing Montoya from doing his job in the crease. This is not a reviewable play therefore the referee’s call on the ice stands – no penalty, no goal Columbus.”
“I didn’t see goaltender interference on the play, but that was the call,” Blue Jackets coach Todd Richards told the Columbus Dispatch. “I was disappointed with the call, but it was one play of many, many in the game.”
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 0
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 8
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 4
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)