Dec 17, 2013, 1:15 AM EST
The Columbus Blue Jackets lost to the Winnipeg Jets by one goal Monday night.
In what may very well have been the difference between earning at least a single point on the evening and nothing at all, the Blue Jackets had a goal called off in the first period for what referee Tim Peel ruled as incidental contact between Columbus forward Matt Calvert and Winnipeg goalie Al Montoya.
The Blue Jackets lost the game 3-2, as the teams combined for four goals in the third period.
In an online explanation at the Situation Room blog, the NHL stated: “At 19:14 of the first period in the Jets/Blue Jackets game, the Situation Room initiated a video review because the puck entered the Winnipeg net. The referee informed the Situation Room that Columbus forward Matt Calvert made incidental contact with goalie Al Montoya, preventing Montoya from doing his job in the crease. This is not a reviewable play therefore the referee’s call on the ice stands – no penalty, no goal Columbus.”
“I didn’t see goaltender interference on the play, but that was the call,” Blue Jackets coach Todd Richards told the Columbus Dispatch. “I was disappointed with the call, but it was one play of many, many in the game.”
- Isles’ Clutterbuck latest to be fined for diving 15
- No hearing scheduled for Kesler after ‘dirty play’ on Dorsett 21
- Why NHL fans — no matter where they live — should care about the plunging Canadian dollar 32
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 61
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 30
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 57
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 17
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (127)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (63)
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)