Dec 17, 2013, 6:32 PM EDT
The St. Louis Blues will face the San Jose Sharks without their captain on Tuesday, as David Backes is day-to-day with an upper-body injury, the team’s director of broadcasting Chris Kerber reports.
Backes suffered the injury during Monday’s loss to the Ottawa Senators. Here’s video of the play that sidelined him:
The 29-year-old seems primed to break career records if he doesn’t miss extended time. His 16 goals and 30 points already easily top what he accomplished last season, and he’s reasonably within reach of his best work from 2010-11 (31 goals and assists for 62 points).
The Blues and Sharks have engaged in some bitter, physical games so far this season, with San Jose coming out clearly on top. St. Louis could certainly use their rugged, productive captain to try to turn that tide, but they’ll need to make it work without him tonight (and maybe longer).
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 50
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 8
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 53
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)