Dec 17, 2013, 6:32 PM EDT
The St. Louis Blues will face the San Jose Sharks without their captain on Tuesday, as David Backes is day-to-day with an upper-body injury, the team’s director of broadcasting Chris Kerber reports.
Backes suffered the injury during Monday’s loss to the Ottawa Senators. Here’s video of the play that sidelined him:
The 29-year-old seems primed to break career records if he doesn’t miss extended time. His 16 goals and 30 points already easily top what he accomplished last season, and he’s reasonably within reach of his best work from 2010-11 (31 goals and assists for 62 points).
The Blues and Sharks have engaged in some bitter, physical games so far this season, with San Jose coming out clearly on top. St. Louis could certainly use their rugged, productive captain to try to turn that tide, but they’ll need to make it work without him tonight (and maybe longer).
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 82
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 75
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (96)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (76)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (40)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)