Dec 17, 2013, 6:32 PM EDT
The St. Louis Blues will face the San Jose Sharks without their captain on Tuesday, as David Backes is day-to-day with an upper-body injury, the team’s director of broadcasting Chris Kerber reports.
Backes suffered the injury during Monday’s loss to the Ottawa Senators. Here’s video of the play that sidelined him:
The 29-year-old seems primed to break career records if he doesn’t miss extended time. His 16 goals and 30 points already easily top what he accomplished last season, and he’s reasonably within reach of his best work from 2010-11 (31 goals and assists for 62 points).
The Blues and Sharks have engaged in some bitter, physical games so far this season, with San Jose coming out clearly on top. St. Louis could certainly use their rugged, productive captain to try to turn that tide, but they’ll need to make it work without him tonight (and maybe longer).
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 11
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 14
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 32
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 44
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 50
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother 31
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 28
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 53
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 10