Dec 17, 2013, 6:32 PM EDT
The St. Louis Blues will face the San Jose Sharks without their captain on Tuesday, as David Backes is day-to-day with an upper-body injury, the team’s director of broadcasting Chris Kerber reports.
Backes suffered the injury during Monday’s loss to the Ottawa Senators. Here’s video of the play that sidelined him:
The 29-year-old seems primed to break career records if he doesn’t miss extended time. His 16 goals and 30 points already easily top what he accomplished last season, and he’s reasonably within reach of his best work from 2010-11 (31 goals and assists for 62 points).
The Blues and Sharks have engaged in some bitter, physical games so far this season, with San Jose coming out clearly on top. St. Louis could certainly use their rugged, productive captain to try to turn that tide, but they’ll need to make it work without him tonight (and maybe longer).
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh 0
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 7
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 59
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 36
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 (60)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)