Dec 17, 2013, 6:32 PM EDT
The St. Louis Blues will face the San Jose Sharks without their captain on Tuesday, as David Backes is day-to-day with an upper-body injury, the team’s director of broadcasting Chris Kerber reports.
Backes suffered the injury during Monday’s loss to the Ottawa Senators. Here’s video of the play that sidelined him:
The 29-year-old seems primed to break career records if he doesn’t miss extended time. His 16 goals and 30 points already easily top what he accomplished last season, and he’s reasonably within reach of his best work from 2010-11 (31 goals and assists for 62 points).
The Blues and Sharks have engaged in some bitter, physical games so far this season, with San Jose coming out clearly on top. St. Louis could certainly use their rugged, productive captain to try to turn that tide, but they’ll need to make it work without him tonight (and maybe longer).
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 20
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)