Dec 16, 2013, 2:24 PM EDT
Minnesota sophomore Mikael Granlund‘s had a tough go of things this season, missing extensive time with a concussion caused by a pair of big hits.
Now, Wild head coach Mike Yeo is hoping to teach Granlund about how to better protect himself on the ice.
“There’s certain situations where you can learn to protect yourself in and there’s times where, especially in this league, that you can’t get away with some of the things that you were getting away with in other leagues,” Yeo explained, as per the Minnesota Star-Tribune. “You have to be careful, too. One of the things that makes [Granlund] great is the way he competes, and I think he’s done a great job going to the middle of the ice and creating a lot more offense because of that.”
Granlund, 21, was off to a solid start this season, scoring 12 points in his first 24 games. But he was sidelined after taking a high hit from Toronto’s Nazem Kadri on Nov. 13 and, upon his return, lasted exactly one shift before getting re-concussed on a hit from Phoenix’s Connor Murphy.
Minnesota was forced to shut down Granlund for a while and he’s essentially been inactive for 12 games in a row (he has recently resumed skating, though). Yeo said the Finnish forward will be a wiser player upon his return… but will still display the same grit and tenacity that saw him go ninth overall at the 2010 NHL Entry Draft.
“We have to make sure we’re helping him in many areas in many ways as far as how he can protect himself,” Yeo explained. “At the same time, you have to make sure you bring that competitive edge, too.”
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 3
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 10
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 7
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 28
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)