Dec 16, 2013, 8:42 PM EDT
It took a while, but Morgan Rielly finally found the back of the net.
Rielly, who was goalless through 25 games this year, got his first-ever NHL marker against Pittsburgh on Monday, with a nice wrister that eluded Pens goalie Marc-Andre Fleury to even the score at one:
More of a playmaker than goalscorer in junior — Rielly had 12 goals for WHL Moose Jaw last year, but finished fifth among all blueliners with 54 points — the Leafs’ rookie has done well in the helpers department this season.
He currently sits fourth among all Toronto defensemen with nine assists — one behind captain Dion Phaneuf and fellow rearguard Jake Gardiner — and is tied for fourth among all NHL rookie defensemen, one back of leader Torey Krug (with 10).
- Kings’ Dustin Brown: ‘We got our [expletives] kicked’ 0
- Feeding frenzy: Sharks devour Kings to take 2-0 series lead 16
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 22
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 37
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 59
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 90
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 25
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (148)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (99)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)