Dec 16, 2013, 8:42 PM EDT
It took a while, but Morgan Rielly finally found the back of the net.
Rielly, who was goalless through 25 games this year, got his first-ever NHL marker against Pittsburgh on Monday, with a nice wrister that eluded Pens goalie Marc-Andre Fleury to even the score at one:
More of a playmaker than goalscorer in junior — Rielly had 12 goals for WHL Moose Jaw last year, but finished fifth among all blueliners with 54 points — the Leafs’ rookie has done well in the helpers department this season.
He currently sits fourth among all Toronto defensemen with nine assists — one behind captain Dion Phaneuf and fellow rearguard Jake Gardiner — and is tied for fourth among all NHL rookie defensemen, one back of leader Torey Krug (with 10).
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 40
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 32
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 65
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 35
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 9
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 48
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 22