Dec 16, 2013, 8:42 PM EST
It took a while, but Morgan Rielly finally found the back of the net.
Rielly, who was goalless through 25 games this year, got his first-ever NHL marker against Pittsburgh on Monday, with a nice wrister that eluded Pens goalie Marc-Andre Fleury to even the score at one:
More of a playmaker than goalscorer in junior — Rielly had 12 goals for WHL Moose Jaw last year, but finished fifth among all blueliners with 54 points — the Leafs’ rookie has done well in the helpers department this season.
He currently sits fourth among all Toronto defensemen with nine assists — one behind captain Dion Phaneuf and fellow rearguard Jake Gardiner — and is tied for fourth among all NHL rookie defensemen, one back of leader Torey Krug (with 10).
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 4
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)