Dec 16, 2013, 8:42 PM EDT
It took a while, but Morgan Rielly finally found the back of the net.
Rielly, who was goalless through 25 games this year, got his first-ever NHL marker against Pittsburgh on Monday, with a nice wrister that eluded Pens goalie Marc-Andre Fleury to even the score at one:
More of a playmaker than goalscorer in junior — Rielly had 12 goals for WHL Moose Jaw last year, but finished fifth among all blueliners with 54 points — the Leafs’ rookie has done well in the helpers department this season.
He currently sits fourth among all Toronto defensemen with nine assists — one behind captain Dion Phaneuf and fellow rearguard Jake Gardiner — and is tied for fourth among all NHL rookie defensemen, one back of leader Torey Krug (with 10).
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry 0
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 7
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 37
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)